Would you ever date someone you aren't friends with before?

Being an AP Student with strict parents and no license, I've noticed that my guy friend circle is really narrow. It's not as much that I chose not to socialize but rather that in always busy at lunch working on homework or on the weekends volunteering. Lately, I've watched to engage with guys but it would be a stretch for me considering I'm not even friends with them yet and that they drink or smoke whereas I've never used any substances.

• Yes, I'd date someone who I wasn't friends with first
  • No, I wouldn't date someone who I wasn't friends with first

Most Helpful Girl

• First off: I'm an AP student and I totally just connected because I'm always busy at lunch or volunteering also, so go us! haha
    Anywho, I would date someone that I was already friends with because they understand me on that level, as he would know that you can sometimes get busy with school.. Also, you are probably friends with him because you two are both engaged in activites that are alike. I wouldn't date someone that I wasn't friends with because like you said, they may drink or smoke and your parents may not like that. I hope that answered enough for you :)

What Guys Said 3

• I don't think I could do that, I have to at least know the person a little bit in order to be in a relationship with em.

• Umm not if I have a choice

• Yes I would but I'd hold them to higher standards most likely

What Girls Said 7

• I wouldn't bother with guys who do get into substances. If you're looking to widen your social circle, see if there's any girls/ groups you can go out with on a weekend. It may take time, especially if you're working hard on APs. I wouldn't consider substance use as even part of the problem. You seem like an intelligent and educated girl, and you very well might be wasting your time with these boys who probably don't deserve an ounce of your attention. Besides, don't bother seeking them out- they will come to you!

• well id like to know him at least in some kinda distant community sorta way.
    i would be open to starting off with a random tho, but yeah it's a preference thing

• My current boyfriend and I weren't friends at first, we just met and started seeing each other on dates and stuff before he asked me to be his girlfriend. He's like my best friend and my lover all in one and I prefer to have it that way than dating one of my friends. If you break up, they might want that friendship back which is almost impossible because of lingering feelings

• I'm currently dating a guy I wasn't friends with a first, we are so much alike and are great for each other, I think u should try getting to know guy first and seeing from there. And u can date and if things don't work out then they dont work out and u gave it everything u got. It's good to let loose and try new things

• Well I'd like to start out as friends before anything. I feel like I need to get to know you before we just jump into something.

• Don't, I did that and I regret it

• Probably not. I'd rather have him as a friend first even if I have feelings and he has too. :)