Guys, what do you look for in girls?

Guys: What do you find attractive in girls? Looks? Personality? Intelligence? Interests? Something else?
Also, what has more weight on deciding whether to date her or not?

Girls (if you happen to be here): What are some tips to... look "good"? (I don't really know how to word that question.)

Most Helpful Guy

• all of the above. As far as looks, the rules (for me at least) are the same for both boys and girls: You don't have to be gorgeous, but must at least look healthy, hygenic and well-groomed (by "groomed," I don't mean anything fancy; I mean look like you take care of yourself) and, for me at least, personality seals the deal. I'm more attracted to girls with certain personalities than certain looks. I also want her to be intelligent and enjoy conversation with me, and I want her to have similar likes and interests so we can bond over those.

As far as looking good, just do what most girls do: style your hair, wear cute clothes, makeup probably is a good idea... oh and be confident! Confidence is super-important in being attractive. If you're insecure about something, play it off with jokes like it doesn't bother you. For example, I don't think I'm physically attractive, so I was joking around with some female friends and somewhere I made the joke, "I'll have you know, ma'am, that I happen to have a GREAT personality!" Implying that someone wouldn't date me for my looks, but I didn't mind (turns out, they corrected me on that assumption, which goes to show that most people don't see themselves as nearly as attractive as most others do).

Also, BE YOURSELF and relax! Most girls don't realize that they probably have at least SOME boys they know trembling in their very presence; If you like a guy, try asking him out; Most guys will give it a shot with you. If you just be yourself, you've got a higher chance of a guy you like liking you back. Think about it; people tend to crush on each other for specific traits, right? Usually for traits similar to their own. If you tend to have crushes on people who are similar to you, then those people are more likely to like you than someone you don't like. So relax! You're a gorgeous young teenager who's going to make some man wonder what he ever did to deserve someone as great as you!

What Guys Said 82

• girls are like doors on a hallway. walking down a hallway there are hundreds of doors. what sets one door out from another? so of course looks or something physical gets the attention to want to walk into said door. once there i like to see how the room is set up aka the personality. if all is good ill settle down there. im apparently pretty smart and funny so i dont "look" for that really. so looks and personality are pretty much all i look for besides the next step of keeping me "entertained" and i know that sounds horrible but word it how u want, ur man gets bored he will go somewhere else and probably do something u dont want him to do. so there u have it.

• I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to why i find someone attractive sometimes.

Yes looks do come into it, but if I get to know someone who isn't typically my type, they can become attractive because of their personality.

It is a mixture then of all things... sorry.. that probably isn't that helpful

• The most beautiful girl is not that who looks pretty but she who cares and loves you from heart.
    Some boys like me will like the girls who are simple, kind hearted, helpful and friendly with all. She should be good at heart:its not at all imp to b beautiful.
    No one is perfect untill someone loves them truly. A girl should be like a hidden treasure... i mean the most precious.

• Looks: Are a bonus*
    *To me, significantly overweight implies lack of self control or personal drive. (I used to weigh 380 lbs, then I fixed my life and now i weigh 200, a healthy weight for my height and frame)

Personality: Extremely important, I have to like someone as a person to want them. What personality a guy is looking for will depend greatly on him.

I want someone mentally strong, and intelligent. Not petty, mentally independent. (The type of girl who wouldn't stick around in a bad relationship, who wouldn't regret a breakup, who has goals she's actively pursuing.)

As a note about myself, I have a Bachelors degree and I'm 21. I strongly support goals.

Intelligence: ^

Interests: in my opinion you need to have some common interests to even get a relationship off the ground. This is how you spend time together, and enjoy eachother's presence. This is the common ground that brings you together!

• Well for me, the first thing I notice is how she looks obviously, if she looks like she cares about her appearance but doesn't over do it or overthink it (basically comfortable and confident), then I'm interested.
    As far as personality goes somebody who is positive, upbeat, charming, funny, doesn't take themselves or life too too seriously, because the way I see it we're only here for a little while might as well enjoy ourselves.
    Intelligence is a must for me, I like to have a conversation with the gal that I'm dating and nothings more of a turn off the talking to a brick wall.
    A few common interests are key, she doesn't have to like every thing I like or me her but a couple of common interests is good.
    As far as dating her goes her personality will win for me everytime. I'm not going go on a second date with a absolutely gorgeous girl when she has the personality of a stop sign, whereas she can be of somewhat "average" looks (whatever average means) and be very cute, charming funny and interesting and she's definitely got attention.

• All the above and they are all of equal value personally. I will at times lower some standards if other aspects attract me.

Looks:
    Your physical appearance matters greatly. It actually tells me a lot about you as well. Do you keep yourself fit? What sort of clothing do you wear? Do you have tattoos and piercings? These are all important things. You don't have to look like Kate Upton but I like to work out so that falls into the category of interests as well.

Interests:
    It's nice to share similar interests. I don't mind doing new things too and I wouldn't mind sharing a few hobbies with someone I'm into. Going hiking or a run together is fun to me. Being into video games is nice too. I want to share similar interests.

Intelligence:
    Someone who can't make complete sentences tend to annoy me. I like to have deep intellectually charging conversations about practically anything. This also falls under interests again. Funny how a lot of these kind of come together.

Personality:
    I don't want someone who is going to be shallow. The most important things I value in a person is trust, loyalty, and honesty. If you give me these three things I'll give them back with equal amount of effort. You'll have my support every time and I'll do anything for those who are willing to do anything for me.
    To a little lesser extent things like not being so serious, mature, enjoys a good laugh, but also has a bit sass are nice attractive qualities in a person.

I'd say if you want to "look good" spend time in the gym. We are all physically flawed in some way, but it doesn't mean you can't be healthy. The difference between "thick, or curvy" is not the same thing as "obese." I hate to be cruel here, but many girls you like to claim to be thick or curvy are just fat. Spend some time working out and getting your body active and you'll fill out better and be just more healthy in general.

• Looks:

This is what initially attracts me to a girl and its pretty important. My own personal preference:

I'd like a girl who is, excuse the shallowness, an 8 out of ten. Blue eyes and brown hair. Curvy girls drive me wild. Wide hips, hourglass figue and a little thickness. I love big boobs. I like a girl to have a slightly toned yet flat stomach, muscular thighs, calves and big ass with a toned lower back. Deep back dimples make me melt :)

But naturally skinny girls can be curvy too. All they have to do is workout a little and build some muscle in the right places. So skinny girls, don't sit around and complain about not having curves. If you really want them, get them :)

Personality:

After initial attraction, this becomes far more important than looks and determines whether or not I want to be in a relationship with a girl.

The perfect girl would be fun, adventurous yet laid back and have a good sense of humour. She would be sweet, warm and caring. She would never play mind games and would have a high l.

Intelligence:

Intelligence is important. I want to be able to have an interesting conversation with a girl

I'd like her to have a college education. A bachelor's degree at least and a master's would be great. But I wouldn't like her to have a PhD its a little intimidating even if I had one. I'd like her to be just as smart as me. No more no less, so a good bit above average but not a genius. She'd know if I was lying, not that I ever would :) and she wouldn't fall for peoples tricks or bulsh*t.

Interests:

I'd like her to be interested in both adventurous, outdoor and laid back things.

I'd like her to be willing to do and enthusiastic about things like kayaking, cycling and outdoor obstacle courses. I'd like her to be able to sing and play the piano. I'd like if she enjoyed staying in and relaxing on the sofa and watching tv and films, even for the whole day :)
    I also find it really sexy if a girl plays tennis :)

Other things:

Not being insec

• well first is looks. the belief that men should like women based on their mind or personality is a fairy tale if you dont know that person.. their looks will be what brings you in. after that its personality no one wants to date a pretty robot, then interests its always fun to have someone with your interests after that its up to preferences

• I look for someone who can make the relationship fun instead of someone who'll "give me the privilege" to pay for her. And as for looks I'd rather be with a decent looking girl than an actual hot girl since most of them show enough cleavage as if their trying to get other guys' attention even when dating and some of them are rather snobby.

• First of all.. No ones perfect... Every one has their own personality.. And one should be proud of it..

Girls should be willing to converse.. Exchanging thoughts plays a vital role
    .

I would go for looks and beauty also sense of humour if the girl wants to speak!!!

• Most of us have a type... my type is say... Jennifer Morrison, but many girls I've dated don't look like her, that look is just what drives me to strut up to a young lady and introduce myself. That being said, I have things that turn me off more than things that turn me on... I'm a guy... most girls turn me on, but what turns me off is avoiding eye contact, not smiling, schleppy clothing, a lack of grace/coordination, big heads, fake breasts, playing ignorant (or actually being ignorant with no desire to learn), basically think about what turns you off about guys... same stuff both ways except I think you gals like humor more than we do... oh the worst lie guys tell; I wish she was like one of the guys. No, not true, no guy wants to date a girl that's like one of the guys. That's the fastest way to end up in the friend zone. Girly is good, but don't act cutesy if you're like 6 feet tall and built like a Mack truck. Or just ignore my opinion, that's cool XD

• I look for traits that I wish to have or admire. I also don't believe you can't be in a relationship with someone you're not physically attracted to, so sexual attraction is a must have. No sex = No relationship. Also, what makes me stay is if she convinces me she is loyal to me and earns my trust.

• Looks are what bring me in and want to have sex with her.
    The sex makes me come back
    The personality makes me love the person

• What's important to me is that we are similar. That we have common interests and have fun together. A better-than-best friend with some romance on the side here and there. Saying good looks isn't liked would simply be lying for anyone, but it's not what I look for.

• There is no general answer to your question excepts for looks of girls and this does not apply to a literally blind guy. If a guy looking for a girls means he has not fallen in love and before falling in love everything about girls depending upon how much a guy is considering.
    Personally I like smart, funny, cute, slender girls with pleasing personality.

• Intelligence in terms of being an independent thinker and being mature is a must, being intellectual us no where near necessary but is a bonus.

For me, personality is really important, I mean obviously if I like someone I can look past most faults but ideally they are understanding, rational and they have a sense of humour.

Looks are weird for me, they are important for me but I don't really have a type. I physically either like someone or I don't. :/

If she has the same interests as I do then that's great but tbh it's not that big a deal for me.

For me too most important aspects are looks and personality. They are probably a 55/45 with personality being that slight bit more important.

• depends what they are looking for; friends with benefits , g/f, soulmate, wife. for women attraction grows, for men they are attracted to looks from the beginning - within the half a second of laying eyes her, in fact you will occasionally see guys 'double take' an exceptionally good looking woman, as he scans a room. she must meet his standard of beauty for him to be interested in her romantically- this is important for a guy -anywhere from 20%-100% of his overall decision, compared to other qualities. then after ticking the attractive box - a man will move on to other qualities. she may have sexy mannerisms, a warm demeanour, or be vivacious, or flirty/fun, etc ... i think, these may make up 0%-80% of a man's decision.
    If a guy is looking for a long term or committed relationship he will be looking at personality/intelligence/interests, values/beliefs. in roughly that order, and in proportion to his desire for commitment and his age.

• personality is the most important, other then that beauty, but she doesn't have to be so beautiful, and i dont want her to be so beautiful in look. I just want her personality, smiles make her beautiful to me. I'm so jealous guy... I just want her to be beautiful to me :)

• appearance: pretty, athletic or slim body, brown, blue or green eyes, brown, black, or blonde hair and either petite or curvy.

personality: fun, funny, caring, courageous, brave, friendly, outgoing

can be really smart or fairly smart

p. s i wish i could give you some tips but i'm not sure i'm the right person to tell you, seeing as how i'm not the most good-looking guy there is.

• sense of humour and interests for me. Obviously looks play an important part too, initially. As in, I'm more likely to try and talk to her and get to know her if she's pretty. But, once I get past that, which is rather quickly i must say, then it's all about their sense of humour and interests.

• Looks aren't super important when it comes to keeping me in a relationship, but attraction, in some form, is. It can be an attractive personality/mind or even just little attractive quirks like a nice smile or a nice laugh keep me interested.

I don't know. If you're looking for superficial things you can easily change to attract guys, generally, some of the first things I notice in a woman are signs that she takes care of herself. Fit, clean hair, white teeth... etc.

• Nice, sweet, loyal, smart, good sense of humor, not superficial or bitchy or fake
    Supportive, trustworthy, humble, smart and mature are always good traits to have for anyone
    I'd like a girl who is open to me about stuff and is straight up without being overly blunt. Someone to lean on and knows that she can lean on me and tell me things. Someone who doesn't obsess over the superficial stuff and knows what's important and is moral
    Someone who will support me as I much as I'd support her

• #1 Intelligence. We have to be able to converse. A good conversation will get me almost every time.

For the rest, I have some minimum requirements. She has to be considerate of others, reasonably fit, and somewhat attractive to me.

• Pretty face, beautiful eyes, nice hair, sexy legs, athletic figure, assertive personality.

• Looks and Personality and what makes me decide to date her is having the same interest since thats rare I leans towards personality

• Personally but this can be the same case for other guys. I tend to like girls with the same or close to the same personality. My girlfriend is very spontaneous and is very open to trying new things. She isn't bossy and talks to me about things that are bothering her because she knows I'm clueless about that kind of stuff.

• Twisted sense of humor is something I value greatly coupled with intelligence. Someone who would have the ability to humiliate me or put me in my place would definitely earn the check-mark in my book.

Personality wise - I would appreciate honesty, sense of responsibility, but at the same time the ability to switch off, go crazy. That's who I'm after.

• How many times are multiple women gonna ask the exact same question? The answer is: We're all different! JUST like all women are different! Everyone likes different things!

• I look for Intelligence, Personality, Loyalty, Fun like me, knows limits, Good looking face. I don't care how Skinny or Big you are, we can work on that together.

Some guys go for this Big ass, Thick chicks. But I go for Skinny, Good looking small booty chicks.

• Physcial and mental attraction. I would have to put chemistry and we have a lot of common interests too. it is more boring to start a relationship with someone that does not share most of your interest. I am not saying all of them. if a girl was interested in some that I wanted to try and do. I would be so down for it!

• More from Guys
    52

What Girls Said 5

• Tips to look good be true to yourself and beauty isn't about looks if u dnt have a good heart no makeup can make u look good you just have to have a good heart and boys mostly likes girls who dnt fake it no1 likes fake persons after all just be yourself when the right guy has to come he will :) not becuz of ur beauty but becuz of u

• I am friendly, intelligent, talll curvy slim I have a naturally big butt which I hate for guys keep staring but its medium, i don't look for men I go through work first education for men requires an independent women not a lazy basterd who sits on her butt and do nothing I am friendly , loving and caring

• Here is a nice thing to do for the man staring at your ass. put on a nice tight fit jean and take a smart phone having camera at the top and put it on your back pocket facing the camera towards the back. start the recording while walking through the men. If you do it properly and upload it to the YouTube and share with the staring men then
      1. you could make money from YouTube. its not much but still there is no harm in it cuz your ass is not gonna be in that video
      2. Those men who would stop staring out of embarrassment after watching the video.
      3. Even if those two don't work out for you, do it cuz its fun to watch the look on their faces staring at your ass.

• douchebags want what douchebags want

• I'm sure being fit and being fashionable is perfectly fine.. i think

• i can't believe you guys continue to answer this question..