i have one later today with a guy I've never spoken to before but apparently we'd made eye contact many times in the lib. he asked me for coffee and its today and im just nervous cuz i hate first dates. they are awkward and uncomfortable. I've yet to go on a good first date. plus i always feel as though i have to fill in awkward silences and stuff like that. and what if it isn't going well? how do i get out of it without hurting his feelings?
Most Helpful Guy
Well first date can be fun, or they can be boring or even uncomfortable. That is just a fact! However here are a few things you can do to help:
1) Up front set a time limit. Just tell him that at X time (maybe no more than an hour after you meet) you have to go as you have something to take care of. This gives you an automatic out if things are not going well. You do not have to explain what it is, just say you have things to do. If the date is going well, you can always say "Well I can stay for another 30 minutes." If it is not going well say "Thank you for the coffee, but as i said, I have to get moving."
2) Think of questions you want to ask him They don't have to be deep, just trying to get to know him
- Does he have siblings? How many? How old?
- Where is he from?
- What do his parents do?
- What are his classes? What is his fav prof? What is his fav subject?
- Fav movie? Book? Music, Etc.
You could ask a silly question; If you were cereal, what sort of cereal would you be? Or something that is just fun.
If there is a pause, let there be one. You can watch him under pressure.
Those two things will help you a lot. And if things go well, then you can meet longer the next time. In fact if they do, you can end it and say "Sorry I had to cut it short this time, but I would like to do it again sometime and I will make sure I have a larger time window"
Hope that helps...0
- Show AllShow Less