Guys: are looks really all that important?

question from an average girl

looks or personality?

cliche question but I like this topic of discussion

Most Helpful Guy

• Looks are important, but looks aren't everything. The better looking someone is, the more people are willing to over look a bad personality, just like a good personality can sometimes make someone overlook some physical flaws, but to some extent personality and looks matter. If a person lacks in one area, they can generally make up for it in another area to some extent. The only exception is for people looking for a one night stand. In that case personality doesn't matter at all.

What Guys Said 20

• Looks get my attention
    Personality keeps me around.

We can't deny the need for physical attraction. It's important but not everything.

• That's all you need to be is AVERAGE IMHO. As long you can play games, open minded/funny, watch anime, play/watch sports, caring etc. YOU'LL shoot up the OVERAL rating scale and Most guys would probably look past you being so called average. If you have average looks and is a true girly girl "GOOD LUCK" because you're going to need it since you'll probably lose out to that girl who possesses those "said things" abiove ^^

• Overall*
      if you have average looks on top of you being a true girly girl*

• oh ok, I was just wondering because girls can be girly and have brain

• by the way I'm not mad/screaming at you or whatever (just saying). They can be girly/have a brain, but most of them IMHO have WEAK personalities and are always crying like little babies. That is why I don't really like being friends with them because they are so soft/boring.

I like girls who can bear the hardships and not fold when shit gets tough or cry like a baby when you argue with them (I hate arguing) but I had to somewhat show what I meant by that LOLOL

• Looks are important when you know nothing about the girl, so the thing that gets you to approach her is her beauty. But, once you know some stuff about her, looks aren't very important, because it's her as a person what creates the attraction.
    There has been times where I liked a girl I wouldn't have thought she was physically my type, but because of her personality, I just fell for her.
    I need to feel some physical attraction for her, but that is not as important as the emotional attraction I have to feel.

• to me they are important, but remember looks are all subjective.

• I mean most girls will say personality is most important, but I've never see a hot girl with a ugly guy at best with a average looking guy who dressed nicely. Its like a psychological thing the more someone gets complimented about their looks the more full of themselves they become male or female and they end up realizing that since I am good looking I will only be with someone who is also good looking.

• i prefer looks tbh

• If a girl is hot as hell but has no personality for me that is an instant turn off. They lose their appeal straight away.

I think the balance needs to be right.

• well looks are always the first thing you notice but I really want her personality to click with mine

• Both. I need both.

The initial attraction is 100% look, but I need a good chemistry aka personality for me to keep being hooked to her. I'm sure you heard this reasoning before :)

• Yeah looks matter only to a certain extent. Personality also plays a major role as well. I'll stick around longer if a girl has a good personality. You're pretty, so you shouldn't have a hard time catching guys attention.

• Looks matter to me, but I'm not very picky. You could be average or less than average and I would still find you attractive.

• Looks aren't the only thing that matters but they're important because we're more visually oriented when it comes to sexual arousal.

• Both. Personality more so, but I've been attracted to girls considered less than average because I liked their personality and I thought they were sexy.

• Yeah, it gets you in the door, put if you have a crap personality you're going to get shoved out and the door slammed.

• Personality, but looks are also important.

• looks all the way

• just as most women like men with a $#! t load of money for them or a big c@ck ,,, like wise men too want looks from women its only fair

• Both

Human being are animals and we're no different than any other animal out there. We are attracted by looks, since they're a show of health and genetics. And the "deal is sealed" so to speak with how you carry yourself. It's just simple nature and doesn't need to be glossed over or sugar coated.

How would you ever know who you are interested in if you didn't look at their looks? You certainly don't know very much at all about how they behave. Conversely, how would you ever know who you wanted to stay with or who you found ultimately attractive if you didn't pay attention to how they behave?

They both play a role that people on the internet will tell you they prefer one or the other. Anyone that tells you that has spent too long behind a computer screen trying to make an instinctual reaction into a rational explanation (where half the time it's just plain unrealistic anyway).

• if you are a girl thats about 5/10 you are good. I would say that you are based on your profile pic so you are good.

• Well if you look like a McMuffin I won't date you.

What Girls Said 3

• looks aren't the most important thing, but anyone claiming their not important at all is lying.

• yes, they won't move onto your personality if they don't like yo face

and you're cute

so you have nothing to worry about

• Im not looking for a dude rite now. only thing im putting in my mouth and blowing rite now is a joint.
    so neither atm