Muslim guy and dating?

I've been friends with a Pakistani Muslim (17, im 16) for a quite a while and we really like each other but we're not exactly dating. I asked my mom if she has issues and she said "there's some huge cultural issues I'd be concerned with." I've heard that Pakistani Muslim are very strict, however, he drinks, acts like a normal teenage guy, etc. We've talked about religion a bit and stuff and he doesn't really practice his faith at all. He's more into science and whatnot. He says he only listens to the lessons to be taught but doesn't believe the actual stories. He doesn't want to believe in a guy that doesn't exactly exist who tries to tell him how to live his life when he has his own free-minded self. That's his words. Im not exactly sure on his parents. I mean, his parents let him go to homecoming with a non-Muslim and whatnot which I assume means they're not TOO strict. He hasn't ever had a girlfriend... He's talked to girls but never had an official girlfriend. He says it's because they always end up not wanting to get into a relationship but I'm wondering if it's actually cause of his parents and he's just not telling me. He says his mom is really cool but I don't know if he's just saying that. He's not a bad person at all and he doesn't seem much different than anyone else at all. What cultural differences could there be? And how could I possibly convince my mom that she shouldn't be worried? Oh and his parents are divorced so he has two families and we were talking on the phone late one night and his dad came in and asked who he was talking to and he said my name and he asked who I was and he said "just a friend" but his dad didn't really seem like he cared at all... So opinions?

Most Helpful Guy

• he's most likely Muslim because of his parents, not because he wants to be, it seems obvious when you stated he doesn't even take it seriously. only thing you can be worried about is probably his family, that's the only problems I see arising, acceptance. it depends how invested and dedicated they are to their religion.

• Well what also worries me is when my mom said "there's a lot of cultural issues im concerned with"

• Yeah but like I told you, he's like everyone else. There's no differences in him or his non-Muslim friends. When we hangout, there's no differences. He jokes the same way, talks, acts. Etc.

• it should workout then, you just gotta warm up to his family, that's all.

What Guys Said 4

• i guess he's not a "strict" muslim... hope one day won't turn out to be one and force you to worship his god... if that happens run away asap1

• Since when is drinking alcohol "normal" like wtf is wrong with society.

#StraightedgeMasterRace

• I'm relating it to he acts like a pretty average teenager. A lot of teenagers drink and whatnot

• Just because a lot of losers drink alcohol doesn't mean its right.

• there is not flaw in islam, muslims are in.

• This sounds great.

What Girls Said 1

• not everyone who is religious is really strict about it. I'm christian, but i have several friends who are muslim but they've all been in relationships so it really just depends on how you've been socialized and how you view your religion.