Who should pay for the first date?

I was wondering how others felt about the first date rule. I think the guy should pay for the first date. But I do know that is not always the case. And I wondering how guys and girls feel about first dates and who should pay?

• Guy
  • Girl
  • Both should split expenses

Most Helpful Girl

• Whoever asks should pay for it

• You make a good point.

• @I_M_LEGEND personally it makes me uncomfortable when people, not necessarily guys, pay for things for me. I don't know why, I have no problem doing it myself. But it makes me feel guilty so I always offer

• What if one person ask them out and the other person decides the location. Should the person who ask them out still pay?

Most Helpful Guy

• Whoever asks the other out, should pay. But that's only for the first date. If they want to continue dating, then they should either split the expenses or take turns for subsequent dates.

What Girls Said 14

• It's usually proper, being it is a 'First date,' coolbreeze, if the guy opens his wallet and pays for himself and his date, who of course, is not yet a mate. Unless they have both talked it over before the day in question as to who pays first, it is just a gentleman thing to do to pay as they say.
    However, the second date this could end up to be something different. However, if nothing is discussed and things are still in the 'Get to know you' mode, I always allow the guy to then again open his wallet because he feels he wants to and doesn't want to see me pay for anything right now and even feels it is the right thing to do and he actually enjoys doing it.
    Bringing a small gift is something nice that helps in the First date... it will put a smile on her face and make the night a... cool breeze.
    Good luck. xx

• you should just discuss it with the girl previously and see what works for both of you. after all, a relationship isn't about following rules and standards that society has set, but it's about what makes the relationship a good one where both parties and satisfied and comfortable with the relationship

• I think they should split it if they both really want the date, but if the guy is really keen about taking her out, has been asking for some time and she's unsure about it, then he should pay. Same for a woman. If the man's unsure but she really wants to go on a date with him, she should pay.

• You bring up very good points. I do agree that sometimes people can be unsure. And being unsure is good and bad.

• I actually talked about it yesterday with my parents that it's so normal for a date that the guy pays, they thought it was very weird. I agree, I think it's a very old-fashioned idea from the time women needed to be financed by men, because they couldn't work yet. That time is gone. It's time to move on and just split the bill.

• You make a good point. But say if the guy or girl is low on cash then should one just pay a little more then the other when splitting the bill? I have been on dates where the girl didn't have much money so I knew it would be wrong even if I wanted to split the bill in the circumstance.

• Yes then it's okay. It's always okay if it's just not forced because of society. Me ex also paid once for me on Valentine's day, because he reaallly wanted to and he was surprising me with dinner. It's just an act of caring. Just like paying for a girl if she's short on money, or paying for a guy if he's short on money. I've once paid for a guy too, because he didn't had money with him. I think that's alright

• That is true and you bring up very good points. I think it could be looked upon to as an act of caring and showing appreciation and love etc. And I also think that was cool that you paid for a guy because he didn't have any money. That was nice.

• Whoever asked to go on the date. The rest of the dates should be split unless one wants to treat the other for a special occasion.

• I think they should both split it. Most of the time the guy pays for it. But, I hate when he does. Im probably the type to atgue about whos going to pay at the resteraunt or check out or whatever. Lol
    But, I feel like I should help to and its not fair

• You make good points. Lol you argue for real about the bill? I'm just use to paying for the first date so it's not a huge deal for me even if it's a one and done date.

• Yeah, if he doesn't agree that we split it. Like you know "I got it" "Let's just split it" "No, I got it" so on until he agrees we split it or I just give up. Lol.

• Lol, I been on dates like that to. No I got it, then it's like no I got it. Lol.

• Women pay time, money, and energy for makeup, clothes, etc to look good for dates to appease men's senses because men are """visual""" whereas men pay to appease the woman's other senses.

• I think who ever asked to take the other one on the date. Say the guy asked. So the guy pays or if the girl asked she should pay.

• I dont say what its right and you should do that way but I would pay the bill, even though he would offer to pay too... I wouldn't let him to pay and I wouldn't want to split the bill either, I would pay because I want to :)... but thats just me... and if we go to the secound date well split the bill.

• :) Wow you sound like me. It's like I pay because I want to pay but that is just me. What about the third date? Would you split the bill to for that?

• Yeah, I would. I mean, he may be a student as well, he may work very hard for that money and even though there are a few dollars it still matters, and Im not saying only about the money, but is a nice gesture and I think men would appreciate it.

• That is true and you bring up very good points. I know how it is as well to be a student and it's tough. I think most men would appreciate it and it is a very nice gesture.

• I picked C. But realistically it should be dependent on funds and who asked who out.
    if girl asked guy she should pay
    Vice versa

• You make very good points. I do really think it's about the funds department.

• Yea.. I'm kinda poor... So unfortunately my boyfriend ends up paying for everything... But I try when I actually have money I'll make sure I'll whip out my wallet before him

• That is good. I understand because everybody situation is different. That is why I never judge girls. But that is very good that you have a good boyfriend.

• I think if the guy asked the girl out, he should pay. If the girl asked the guy out, she should pay.

• The easiest would be to just split it. He pays his stuff, she pays her stuff. Problem solved.

• They both should pay for their own

• You bring up a very good point.

• I wouldn't even be comfortable with having someone I barely know even pay for mine. nor would I Expect them to do so but I do expect a courteous offer so I can kindly reject because it's the thought that counts.

• Yeah that is true its the thought that counts.

• On the first date- the guy
    After the first date- split the bill

What Guys Said 19

• Women should pay for their own meal. Fuck that "Gentleman" crap. Those rules were in place during a time when women either didn't work or weren't making as much money as a man. Times have changed, why the fuck are we still footing the bill if woman want to be considered our equals? This is a perfect example of how fucked up and selfish their way of thinking can be. Not all chicks obviously, but the ones who voted that the guy should pay.

• The bill should be split or the asking person pays.

• I'd like to pay on the first date. I don't see why it's a big deal.

• True it shouldn't be a big deal. Sometimes I met girls who made it into a big deal.

• It's wrong if she "expects" you to pay for it but overall it's all part of making a good impression for a first date which is why I like to do it.

• That's true.

• The guy should, especially if he asked the girl out for that date. If I went out with a girl for the first date and she insists on splitting the bill, I would interpret that as her telling me, "We are not on a date, we are just hanging out. I don't see ourselves as a potential couple. So don't get the wrong idea."

• You make a good point. I think it's easy to interpret things. And a girl splitting the bill on the first date could be like the points you said.

• why not each their own basically?

• Option D. Whoever asks for the first date.

• Depends on who the guest and host is.

If you invited her, that makes you the host and her the guest.

You could always invite her to the homeless shelter soup kitchen if you want to be frugal.

• For the 21st century male and female date, it should be the person who asked. But someone like me, who is traditional, I am going to be paying for every date.

• A man never cockblocks himself by paying for a date.

• Obamacare should pay for it.

• I don't think it can pay for everything that is not health care related.

• It should be the one asking for date.

• Guys always pay =^)

• A becz guys need to show more courtesy!

• I am not sure, but I am wiling to pay for it.

• Either Dutch or whoever asked to go on the date.

• Women in their 20s and 30s earn more than men. But we need them more so we have to be the bitch...

• I would split it. If she expected me to pay I'll never see her again

• Wow you really test a girl out. Well it's good to test girls sometimes.

• True if you want to be fair then splitting makes sense.

• Noooooooo ignore the downvote but you are totally right

• I just say i forgot my wallet and make her pay

• Girl should always pay. Or she doesn't get to bang me. I'm not putting out unless she shows me a good time!

• Then you must be a chick magnet then. I have to learn your secrets.