Why are fat women more accepted than men?

If a man is fat, he is told he needs to lose weight, diet, exercise. He's seen as "gross." It's no wonder men have so many disorders with food.

If a girl is fat, she's the "funny fat girl" or "a teddy bear." She's still seen as cute and nobody judges her.

It's no wonder men will date a fat woman but women won't date a fat men. Why is this?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 13

• Uh I think you have your stereotypes backwards.

• HAHAHA Funny... how WRONG you are.
    A fat guy still gets dates, is referred as the cool dude...
    A fat girl is shunned, has little to no self confidence due to everyone being too liberal with their mean thoughts and letting them out - on the street...
    So, fat men are a lot more appreciated in society than women.

Which is ironic, because it's a lot easier for a woman to gain fat than it is for a man - since women gain fat when they hit puberty while men gain muscle mass...

My question here is: how lazy of a guy do you have to be to get fat?
    Really...

• Women are also told by men the same things... and women are judged every day for being over-weight by other girls... so we aren't too accepted in this world, even getting a job is hard for over-weight girls because employers judge us over it... many men judge us over it too... i've had guys go "No she's fat" right in front of me.. . so... it goes the same way.

• "Its no wonder so many men have disorders with food"

Errrrrrr actually women are 11 times more likely to develop anorexia nervosa than men but aight

Women aren't told its cute to be fat either.
    *******I will admit that the fat acceptance movement is aimed more toward women, but women still face criticism for the weight. ***** in a general sense women's bodies are more criticized than men's. Can't remember the study but men are less likely to be dissastfied with their bodies than women.

Not that its important... but one reason for it to be "more acceptable" for a woman to be overweight is that extra body fat is far more reproductively advantageous for women than for men.

• by the way no one calls fat chicks teddy bears. That's almost always used to describe fat guys

• @been_waiting: I don't know man, he's obviously got a pretty strong argument. I mean, really, "You're wrong about everything"? Can't beat that sort of hard evidence and logic.

• @cipher42 I know:/ I'm embarrassed. I don't know how to compete with this genius

• I think you have this completely twisted.

• Women get so much crap for being fat

• I think it goes both ways. It's wrong to say that girls don't experience the same pressures as guys and vice versa even though it may seem like it might we all essentially go through the same trials regardless of our looks, sex, race etc

• No no.
    If any gender are overweight they are treated the same..
    If that girl could be funny or a teddy bear.. She found a good way to use her body's benefits..
    Girls can have food disorders and gets nagged to lose the fat..
    She can be seen "gross"..
    Sometimes.. Others expect for one gender to be skinny... So these things occur y'know?

• Okay, I'm not saying ALL different genders that are overweight are treated the same..
      Just some!

• Well, that was ignorant.

• You need to get yourself out there.

• I am out there. Fat men have it so tough! Notice how the media bashes overweight male celebrities but female fat celebrities are "funny"?

• You're FAT and won't date a fat guy. You're the hypocrite. You're the fat-shamer.

• Okay, whatever helps you sleep at night.

• This is bs. All fat people are gross and need to lose weight.

• I don't know, maybe skinny women and fat men should become allies and defeat the acceptance barrier

What Guys Said 11

• I think the fat girls DO have trouble getting guys to notice them. Maybe, yes, they are a little more accepted and not criticized, but that goes for all girsl.. in spite of their wailing for equality, most are happy to take advantage of 'chivalry' and get away with things that we guys are called to account for.

Most of them increasingly aren't able to get dates, in my experience. AT least as much difficulty as the fat guys do, even if they can, as you say, often escape any criticism for absorbing all the infrared rays and making the world colder for the rest of us.

• I'm not sure that they are, I know Feminists are really pushing for this, they think they can shame men into finding fat women attractive and all that.

It's been my experience that everyone has it about as bad when it comes to fat acceptance and it's mostly how critical the individual is of them self's the is the key to how intensely they feel good, neutral or bad about their fat status.

• lol, where I live I think that women feel more pressured to lose weight than men...

• Women are naturally hardwired to have more body fat than men, so they begin with a higher body fat percentage threshold for what's considered to be too much.

• Yeah nice try toll.

• personally i like chubby girls and i find them cute :-)

• I consider it one of my benevolent works to verbally torture fat women in the hopes that it so pisses them off to the point of rage that they finally get off their lazy arses and quit the miss piggy lifestyle.

It's that people believe that they can be honest with a man and must be politically correct with a woman. But that isn't doing her any good. It would actually be more loving to literally get her arse off the couch and out the door and coddle her with sappy pseudo-consolation.

• Both are unhealthy and disgusting. Go to the gym or jog outside. Jesus christ its really not that hard.

• I don't see that at all. If anything, fat men are more accepted if they have status.

• Not true. These are facts.

• Fat women are no more accepted than fat men. If anything, I've noticed just the opposite.

• 0|0
    • Yet, Kelly Clarkson faces NO criticism. She's seen as the "fat funny girl."

• You got fat.

• Kelly Clarkson is ripped apart by the media for being fat...