Do you "believe" in statistics?

A lot of people ask why only X dates X for instance but the reality is that most ethnicities day within their own ethnicity. Even with extreme variance at best globally it hits less than 10% of any given population.

So when I look at dating data I see a lot of questions answered but I also see a lot of other ideas on the questions and opinions. So which are you inclined to accept?

• Personal Opinions
  • Statistics

Most Helpful Girl

• statistics are fine up to a certain point and then like you said you can see a lot of other ideas on the questions and opinions
    it's never that simple
    It's a problem when something can be correct but not in every situation and you cannot predict all the situations

What Girls Said 4

• I usually go for statistics since the sample size should be large and diverse enough to uncover trends within a group.

• People lie and people hide from the world xD no statistic can ever be accurate! XD unless it was a tiny group of your best friends and asked they opinions!

• Is that a belief?

• I dont believe in statistics! Seriously like this one: Guys who prefer big booba are hungry and less hungry one prefer small boobs.

What Guys Said 7

• Statistics in their purest form aren't a matter of believing. You can question the methodology and find sampling errors, but if anyone says statistics in general are as equally valid as leprechauns, they dont know what statistics are.

I'm more inclined to based my reasoning on evidence. A properly conducted study with a large sample size trumps a room full of vocal advocates supporting your hypothesis.

• Statistics and probability theory belongs exclusively in the realm of the discrete and linear progression. Humans and human-emotions are not of the discrete, statistics is not an objective way to describe the masses, but we have to get the bigger picture somehow so we do use statistics to do just that. The difficulty is that a lot of the people treat all statistics the same - definitive.

Based on the statistics one could estimate the likelihood a person would find their date or find their "true love" via its probability density, but this would only be accurate if these events were discrete and clearly defined. They are not, therefore Statistics in such cases are not objective and therefore not a reliable source of information.

• Statistics... or personal opinions.
    Science... or philosophy.

• The 2004 Red Sox didn't believe in statistics, so neither do I.

• “I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Says it all. But i think you do well when you compare various statistics and personal opinions. This should give you an approximate picture of the situation.

• many years ago incest was avoided by women from one tribe to date men from other tribes, men would show up to battle for women... the reason women are so taken by foreign accents was developed through evolution and health and betterment of society (avoidance of incest).

• Depends on who's making that statistic.