Was this a date or hanging out?

I've never had a bf so I'm pretty clueless about everything. My crush has never has a gf so he is also lost when it comes to dating.
So today I went to lunch with my crush. First he drove to my house to pick me up. When I got outside he got out of the car to open my door for me (it was locked and he was all embarrassed but it was a cute gesture hahaha). On the way to the restaurant he showed me that he brought a bunch if his CDs for me to borrow. We went to subway for lunch where he paid for me, and we talked the whole time. After we ate he was going to take me back to his house to show me something I was asking him about recently, but his parents were home and he didn't wanna get yelled at for bringing a friend home before he did his chores so he took me home lol. On the way home I said we should go to a movie or something. He said he couldn't because obviously he had to do his chores, but he said that him and his friend who I know are going to the movies on Friday and if I want I could go too.
So was this lunch just hanging out or was it a date. I'm so confused and I have never had a guy show interest in me so I don't know what signs to look for.

I forgot to mention that I've liked him for a little over a year and in the beginning I told him I liked him but the feeling wasn't mutual because he liked someone else. But we have gotten really close over the last few months and I think since he has stuck around our friendship has changed a lot.

Most Helpful Guy

• sounds like a date to me. I could be way off on this but I kinda feel like when I hang out with a girl for the first time I look at it kinda being both a date and hanging out, to kinda see how we feel about eachother

• That's what I was kinda also thinking, that it was both. It definitely makes sense.

What Guys Said 1

• Cute. Sounds like a date to me.

What Girls Said 0