Is an hour drive considered long distance for a relationship?

A guy I was seeing broke up with me cause of the distance, but I'd love to be able to open him up to trying again. I don't see it as that far, considering he had his own car and can drive.

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope sure isn't try sitting through multiple deployments a year at a time with a couple of weeks if your lucky to be side by side. Think there might be another issue with him besides the 1hr drive. He'd travel the world to get to you if he really wanted too.

• I agree. If he liked me enough he would do it. I guess he didn't have the balls to give me the real reason lol

• And guess what you don't even need him to give you the real reason take the 1hr as his reason its an easier answer for the heart to handle. Chalk it down to so is life and move on to bigger and better things. can't force whats not meant to be.

• Very true. Thanks :)

What Guys Said 7

• It's not that far at all.

• I suspect that's more an excuse than a reason. When we dated, my late wife lived about an hour from me.

• Yeah that's crossed my mind, I guess I'm just trying to think more positively about the situation lol but yeah I suspect it could be too.

• I commute further then that to work.

• no it's a normal distance in my opinion

• Not long, my ex gf and I lived 3 hours away from each other that was a long distance relationship, you live in Toronto I live in Waterloo, that's only a hour and 15 minute drive which isn't long at all

• For me that's to far.

• Yeah an hour each way... thats quite a while

• If you liked someone enough though, would you make that trip?

• Toronto. I see you're from the US, I consider THAT long distance lol

• Wicked long...

What Girls Said 5

• I married a man from Egypt and with this guy breaking it off with you because of 'An hour drive,' I have to laugh because to me this seems like a stone's throw, compared to where I used to have to travel to which was half way round the world.
    He may just be lazy or not feel it is worth the effort and with That, I find it a lame duck excuse here, dear.
    You could try again to see where you stand with him, but if he hymns and haws, find someone who is either closer or finds that distance is no problem when he has an amazing girl who he would find is worth traveling miles for.
    Good luck. xx

• I suppose it depends on the age and availability of transportation. When I was 14, across town was considered long distance because I didn't have a car.

When I was 19 and I moved an hour away from home for school, that hour was considered long distance because I didn't have my truck at school and had to take the bus. When I was 20 and had my truck at school it wasn't as long distance.

I'm 21 and he now moved 6 hours away from my school for his school. I consider that to be long distance now and wish every day I could have that hour distance back lol

• I live in another state than my boyfriend, he told me there is a 2,000 mile difference in between where we each live. I dated a guy who was 1 and half hours away and the "long distance" didn't seem that much of a problem until the end when everything was unraveling, which was more about how shitty the relationship was overall, so it's not the best example. But if you both want to make it work as much, then it shouldn't matter very much about the one hour...

• Actually my boyfriend now we live an hour apart when I come back home from college, anyways and it's not a big problem... I think it's basically he's just using it as the excuse to not continue or make it work.

• Well if you don't want to ask him, or think he will lie, don't give him the benefit of the doubt and hope on him either. Just cut it off completely. Chances are if you don't know the real reason you will think there is still possibility with him and it's going to lead to false hope and expectations and will really hurt more than just finding out in the first place and ending your need for closure the real reason

• Yeah that's true. I think I'll give it some time though as apposed to asking impulsively. Down the road I may not even care whether there's a different reason or not.

• Not that I know of no

• Yeah, I never understood that either. I've been broken up for the same reason (but honestly I just think he was giving an excuse --- he talked to *cough cough FLIRTED PRETTY HEAVILY AND LEAD ON cough* a million girls)