What do you do when a friend you know is dating the wrong person for them. But she is much too blinded by love to see it?

So there's this friend of mine who broke up with a really great guy, because she wanted to explore the world (and for other flimsy reasons). This guy and her are perfect for each other, he worships her, despite his busy schedule he finds all the time in the worlds to make sure he keeps communication open.

And now she's dating again, and this new guy is the wrong person for her emotionally, quality of life, integrity-wise. I mean there's a very sad and terrible heart break waiting to happen...I feel i should warn her

• Advice her?
  • Watch from a distance?
It's even sadder to watch, because the poor ex-bf just called, asking her to reconsider, and she was all rude to him on the phone, literally telling him to 'bounce'.

Most Helpful Girl

• I just leave her be. Unless he's being physically abusive to her and I fear for her actual safety, I don't feel like it's my place to interfere. Let her ride it out, and hopefully, as emotionally devastating as it will likely become, some people just need to learn the hard way by experiencing it first hand.
    Trying to say something to get them to do otherwise will more often than not, do not good in reality.

You trying to intervene will likely lead to her turning against you, as she, blinded by love, will think you're jealous, a know-it-all, etc., versus just trying to help.

I had a similar case with my now former best friend. She started seeing a guy who she was infatuated with like crazy from the start. Problem being he was super flaky, rarely showed up to dates on time if at all, and when he did it would be sex and very minimal conversation. She lost her virginity to him, and I'd have to sit and listen to her emotional roller coaster of being 'very in love', to miserable when she'd clean the house, cook him dinner and he'd fail to show up as well as even let her know he wouldn't make it.

What Girls Said 4

• It happened with a friend of mine. We tried to get along with her boyfriend, we tried to support her. We didn't directly tell her he was wrong for her but.. we tried to give her advise but it was hard. We mostly watched. They stayed together for almost four years. When it began falling apart... we didn't really help her working things out though

• I have a feeling you're that type of "nice guy" friend who thinks he's absolutely perfect for his female friend and any other guy she likes is wrong for her.

Its her life. She obviously didn't want to be with the other guy. Her dating life is about what she wants. Not what you think is right for her. Its not your place to tell her who to date. Its understandable if you want to voice your concerns (I've told my friends when I think they deserve better than the person they're dating) but don't expect her to listen to you.

• Hey... opposites attract! Even though it may not be the best match, it's their own preference. And in most cases, there is a possibility that you're unintentionally biased towards the "great guy", making other seem inferior in comparison.

However, based on your update, your friend deserves the guy she currently has, since she didn't even have the audacity of sparing her "nice-guy-ex". So they may not be as opposite as I have initially thought.

• Unless she asks, you say nowt. It's unfortunate, but you will not be thanked for unwanted opinions, regardless of your good intentions.

What Guys Said 3

• Even if you are right, you have to let the train wreck happen. Unless she asks you about the relationship, it's best to sit this one out.

• Honestly it may sound wrong but people have to make their mistakes in life to learn from and realize what is what. advice her yes; but ultimately she has to live from experience, some lessons are learned by having things going the way they will.

• Her life not yours. Let the tragedy happen. Some people don't learn lessons unless it involves them getting hurt by it in some way.