I felt like my fiances mom snubbed me?

My fiances mom makes these really good brownies. I asked her for the recipe because I feel comfortable with her since I have known her for 5 years now and we see her just about every week. I started off by saying you make the best brownies which she does I wasn't just feeding her bs would I be able to have the recipe to try it or we can make them together next time. I said no worries I will still give you the credit since its your recipe because I didn't want her to think I was stealing her thunder. She just said sorry its a family recipe. Ouch i even suggested making them with her. I didn't say anything after she said that because honestly I was shocked I thought we were.close and she would love the idea of making them together to bond. I am about to marry her son so I thought I was family. I could understand if we didn't get along that well but we are close. It just seemed like an abrupt answer I just thought she could have been like hey I'm not ready to give out the recipe yet but why don't we make them together. My fiancé said he was shocked by his mom's response and he is going to talk to her about it later. His idea not mine. It really hurt my feelings. Do I have a right to feel hurt?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yep, I think you stepped on her toes there. No matter how good things are between any mother and her daugher-in-law to be, the mom always feels like the girl is taking away her son. So there is always a sliver of resentment, no matter what. And so begins the competitiveness between mom and daughter in law about who is the best. Even though this is not your intention, there are just some things better off left alone. His mother will feel like you are stealing her thunder. She feels like you are trying to one-up her. Making those brownies is something she is really good at and everyone likes them and appreciates her for them. It is one way for her to feel needed and wanted. By you wanting to take the recipe is the same as pushing her aside so you can be the best brownie maker. This is all just silliness, but feelings can be hurt. So in the end, to save face, let her have her brownie glory and you find something else to bond with her.

• Well knowing my intentions her response was rude and immature. That's not true normal healthy adults who want to see their children grow up and be healthy are happy for them when they find someone who treats them well. Maybe crazy mother in laws are like that but trust me when I say mine isn't that type at all. I even suggested making them with her and giving her the credit. So I should feed into her immaturity but watching everything I ask/say around her? Why me and not her

• LOL, this is what in-laws are all about! You aren't the first or the last. Like I said, this is just a pill you have to swallow to save face. Sometimes when you are at her home you need to watch what you say and do because it is her roof over your head. When the day comes when it your house and she is your guest the shoe will be on the other foot. I am just saying this to avoid a possible fight and undeserved bad feelings and attitudes. Yes, I totally agree with you that she is being immature and was rude, but then again she doesn't have to share with you. I think you maybe just need to realize that is something she wanted to keep special to herself. I think you are over thinking and over reacting to this. This is a time to realize she is being a snobby bitch, you need to be the better person and just walk away and let this be water under bridge and move on.

What Guys Said 2

• Perhaps you should have reminded her that you soon will be family!! I'd not visit her again.

• I wanted to but I was just so hurt and taken back i didn't know what to say. We will see what happens when my fiancé talks to her. Maybe she was just having a bad day or something

• Yeah you got disrespected hard. I'm sorry about that. I feel like any mother in law should be stoked to share something like that.

• Right. Like I even complimented her on it and suggested making it with her.

What Girls Said 1

• I think every mother in law do the same thing. When you'll be married with his son, she will give you the recipe because you and your hısband will be far from her and she is gonna want you to remember her.

• I just thought she considered me family