Why do guys care so much about how much a girl eats on a date?

I hear this so often but it just seems dumb. Guys are always getting mad if a girl doesn't eat a lot on a date and they'll always say something about it. But who cares what she eats or how much she eats?

Most Helpful Guy

• I do not give a damn what a girl eats on a date. If that is what she wants to eat then that is perfectly fine with me

• But she also should not feel pressured to order anything she does not want to eat or not order something because it might cost too much

• Thank you!

What Guys Said 10

• We all love to eat, who doesn't? Eating is something we do when we feel safe, we are programmed this way (that's why they say to chew gum when you're gonna go through a nervous situation since it makes the brain believe you're eating). So we feel like she's not too comfortable around us, and that's why she just tries to eat as little as possible.

• I understand, but some girls just don't eat a lot in general. But good explanation!

• But you really shouldn't eat more than two slices of pizza anyway. What's wrong with trying to be healthy?

• :O Pizza is too delicious to just eat two slices. There's nothing wrong by eating unhealthy once in a while, I'm not saying you have to eat unhealthy every day, but once every 2-3 weeks a pizza is fine.
      There's nothing wrong to try to be healthy, but some people just forget about pleasure and just focuses on being healthy, not realizing there's nothing wrong with eating pizza once in a while.

• It's not that. We don't like it when a girl holds back on eating for whatever the hell reason they do. You want the tiny salad? Go ahead. The noodles served in a big ass wok? Sure. But don't say, i'm not that hungry when you've agreed to go out for dinner and picked the restaurant yourself.

• One perceived value. Often a good meal costs as much as his weekly food budget, and if she doesn't eat it...

Two guys buy things to have people enjoy them, if she just picks it looks like she didn't enjoy it

Three The guy is hungry and assumes she is as well. Why won't she eat, and if she's not hungry why did she eat before we went ou?

• Well, I can see how it might be annoying if she orders something and doesn't eat it, especially if he is paying. But if she orders something small or orders salad because that's all she's hungry for then I don't see why her date should bother her about it.

• See number 3 why did she eat before they went out? Was she afraid the he would pick a bad restaurant? Also the guy sees the whole menu and thinks with all of these choices why just a salad? Does she think I'm broke? Guys don't, as a rule, understand calories and dieting.

• If she eats a lot, that's a sign she will be fat when her metabolism slows down.

• I don't care at all. How much she eats is entirely up to her

• I remember a video that was by some girl, and went basically like, she choose to order a salad only to try to impress her date and not because that's what she ACTUALLY wants. And most likely he is paying for it so, she is eating shitty food she doesn't even truly want, wasting his money, to try to impress him. Sorry it's not impressive that you waste my money. And that's why it's pretty irritating when a girl doesn't eat a cheeseburger and orders a salad she doesn't even want.

• But if that's what she likes then you shouldn't really care right? It's more about her ordering something just to impress you.

• I love salad! It's not like salad is super healthy either. And it can contain meat in it as well.

• Sure it can, but 20 dollar salads usually do not. They are usually over priced and can be made for 3 dollars if we weren't in a restaurant. And you are also in the vast minority of women who like salad for a dinner in the US.

• When I take a girl out for a meal and I'm paying please don't order just a salad, I don't want her to feel obligated to eat salad all the time that she is around me and I like to see her eat a nice hearty meal.

• But what if she just likes salad? Does it have to do with you paying for it?

• Well have you ever had oriental salad? It's bomb! I could literally eat that every day. But it's not like it's that healthy.

• Don't think so. But theirs this Japanese ginger salad dressing it's so good I could drink it!

• who cares if she wants a salad then that's what she wants the only thing that would bother me if we went out to dinner and she orders nothing

• I don't... unless she eats nothing... or starts eating like a bear.

• actually, they care if its expensive lol we aren't made of money and we are paying for both so u can't just order the most expensive thing on the menu.

• But what if you each pay for yourself?

• then I wouldn't care.

What Girls Said 5

• Guys don't want their money wasted on bullshit impressions. If you order a salad just because you don't want to come off as a fatty to the guy, you need to take a step back and remember why you're dating in the first place.

If you can't be yourself around this guy, what's the point of pursuing a relationship with him? Are you just gonna carry on eating shit you don't like? How long can you keep up the ruse?

If he sees you eating salads all the time, he'll assume you actually like them and will take initiative to surprise you with food you made him believe you like, such as making the same salads at home or pre-ordering before you arrive.

And as a side note: restaurant salads are SHIT. This is coming from someone, who eats veg on a daily basis. Seriously, the so called salads restaurants try to pass off as are nothing but a bowl of leaves with 2 cherry tomatoes and maybe an olive added just to boost the price to insane proportions.

I will NEVER eat a restaurant salad for as long as I live. The western world has no clue that there's more than one variation to a salad. Salads can't be absolutely fucking mouthwatering, if you actually put INGREDIENTS in it instead of a grass and some vinegar - BLEH!

• they think if she doesn't eat a lot she's scared of eating in front of him or something I don't know but it's something that some girls do because they feel uncomfortable eating in front of a guy, even though it's completely natural lol I've always ended up eating more most times i've gone out with a guy and they don't care

• Yeah, there are girls who do this. But if they really don't eat much then that should be their choice.

• yeah no it's definitely a choice, but if you're only choosing to not eat as much because you're afraid of what a guy is going to think there's something wrong there.

• I'll have..

Everything on the menu thanks ☺️

I would assume seeing a girl with a big appetite would be nice. Why? A guy likes to see a girl who isn't afraid of eating big proportions? I would assume anyways.

• It's not about how much she physically consumes, it's about them wanting her to be comfortable with them. If you like pounding back a burger, do it, if you like salads eat a salad - its the misconception girls feel the need to "eat less" or "light" on a date to keep that "feminine" appearance. Just be comfortable in the situation and don't hold back is what they're wanting.

• But a lot of times, guys assume girls are holding back if they get a salad, but some of us just like salad!!!

• None of the guys I've dated gave a hoot about what I ate.