How long should you wait to date again after a divorce?

I was with this man for 8 years. We got married and our marriage only lasted 10 months. I live in Canada where we were separated for a year before we could finalize the divorce. How long should I wait before I can date again? How soon is too soon?

Thanks for all of the kind words!

Most Helpful Guy

• Everyone is different. I was married for 15 months, then after the divorce I was really ready to date again in about 6 months.

• How long did you two date?

• Good thinking, of course people I like now will have some similar issues as him but I can't be let that stop me from giving them a chance

• Exactly. And it takes a very wise person to be able to stop themselves and remember that in the heat of the moment sometimes.

What Guys Said 3

• Something that lasted long would probably mean 6 months to a year of not dating after the separation.

• Do you mean after the divorce is finalized or just the separation?

• Simply after the separation. It usually takes that long to get over someone. It all comes down to you. It's not a real matter of how long you are supposed to wait, rather, how prepared you are to date gain? Are you ready to date again? Do you still have feelings for the person you were with? This is a big one: Are you happy?

Be happy before dating. Be happy before being in a relationship. The big mistake we make is believing we will be fulfilled by the other person or we will be happy if we find someone. "He completes me." is something we should not say or believe. We should find happiness on our own.

• After a similarly long relationship, I was ready after six months.

• You got divorced too? Did your first real relationship after your divorce last?

• I'm sorry. You seem like a great guy

• Thank you for the sympathy, really. This is a low point in anyone's life, I'm confident you can get back into things. The experience you've gained from your relationship will be very valuable when meeting new people. Good luck out there!

• Have you gone back for rebound sex yet? Are you having any one night stands?

What Girls Said 4

• A month for every year you dated.

• Absolutely whenever you are comfortable doing so.

• I don't think there is a "too soon". Your own instinct will tell you. If you don't feel like dating yet, then don't. If you feel like it the same day you divorced, go for it. Also, there is a difference in actually trying to find a new serious relationship, or just getting fucked. When I broke up with my bf after 2 years, I got drunk and ended up getting fucked by an ex classmate I barely know, that same night, just for the sake of it. It felt great. Yet it took me months to start looking for a new relationship. So let you instinct decide what to do.

• I don't think there is some set amount of time to start dating. Whenever you're ready, just take it easy and casual.