If you're religious would you date someone who isn't? Or vice versa?

A friend of mine wants to set me up with this guy. He is a religious and likes going to church and taking part in church-related events. I'm not religious at all. I have nothing against it; it's just not really something I think about one way or the other. I would be alright with dating someone who is as long as he respects my decisions and doesn't try to force religion on me, but in my experience men who are religious only tend to want to date women who are as well. What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• yeah, i'll try anything once. new experiences can be fun and are usually fascinating.

What Guys Said 18

• Not religious and can't date them. I consider myself agnostic and from what I notice, religious people push others away by shoving their beliefs down other people's throats.

You'll likely be told to convert but the main question is how long it takes until he insists.

• Even tho I'm an atheist , I wouldn't really mind.
    I've been to church with my religious mates before , we sang , we prayed, we danced , just good social fun really even tho I think the sort of stuff they do in church is borderline brainwashing lol it's a sign of respect so I'm okay with it.

• Depends on the individual. Some are "religious" where they have a certain idea of what makes the world spin, but also appreciate other ideas and/or science. But then you've got your heavily indoctrinated religious peeps who *know* all the answers to life's mysteries and if other ideas contradict religion it's time to escort them straight to the gates of Hell.

So you kinda have to feel that one out. Like anything else, there's no hard fast rule you should follow.

• When I was religious, I would not have dated someone who wasn't.

Now that I'm not, I'd date somebody who was, as long as they could commit to not trying to convert me.

• Initially I'm thinking nope! But if they were secure enough in their faith to not need to cram it down my throat it would be fine. I could even join in to some degree... Find raising... Events etc but the weekly church I couldn't do.

• Well I am Catholic so I would prefer my future girlfreind to be religious, but it is definitely not something I would hold against her or try to force upon her

• I am an agnostic. I would prefer to date someone who is an agnostic (like my wife), but I would date someone who is religious.

• No, I wouldn't.

• I'm religious and I WOULD try, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work. I'm pretty sure she would try and force her beliefs on me and cause a lot of tension, but I have no problem trying it out

• Since I live in the US, and want a more traditional relationship, chances are I am going to marry a Christian woman. And I don't have anything against it.

• I wouldn't mind being with a girl that's not religious, but I'm not a hardcore bible thumper or anything, haha. As long as she respected my beliefs, I'd respect hers.

• A couple of years ago I would have and did but now, no I wouldn't date someone outside my own faith.

• I would like to think I could but truth is I would still try to change their beliefs.

• It's all about love ❤ 💐 cutie

• I can't. I have to date in my religion or else I'll probably begin to stray away.

• I'm not religious and I am with someone who believes but isn't a bible thumper

• Religion itself is not the problem. The question is how open minded they are. Generally speaking, both religious people and atheists are close minded bastards who wanna shove each others beliefs down peoples throats. Agnostics are the best :). They're open minded.

• I'm considered religious and I would not date an atheist, unless they were open to a possible conversion. Closed-mindedness is extremely unattractive to me.

What Girls Said 7

• i wouldn't. too complicated for me.

• I doubt it considering that I'm an atheist, and (seriously) religious people don't seem very keen to date non-religious people.

• I'm not religious and, no, I would not date someone who is because even if they try to be respectful and whatnot, they will end up pushing it on you in one way or another. It's such a core part of who they are that it really can't be helped.

• I agree with you. I am not very religious at all, but I am down to going on a date with a religious person. As long as they don't force their beliefs on me, I won't force my non existent ones on them.

• Would never date someone who's overly religious. Might consider one of those "closet atheists" though.

• Nope. It's part of my religion to only date someone of the same religion.

• no... i'm not religious at all, i was raised muslim and still keep my faith but i don't like associating with religious people at all. they suck and they're insane