Is there a difference between being boyfriend and girlfriend and dating?

Question says it all

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I consider dating to be when you're going out/spending time with someone in order to get to know them before deciding if you want to be boyfriend and girlfriend.

Like, if I go on one date with a guy and find out that I don't like him, was he my boyfriend? No. What about two dates? Three? Being someone's boyfriend or girlfriend suggests a greater amount of commitment than simply going on dates with someone.

In my grandparents' day, they called it "going steady" when, after going on a number of dates with someone, you decided you wanted them to be your girlfriend/boyfriend. You'd ask them to "go steady". We don't really call it that anymore, but the same thing happens. You date someone, and when you think you like them enough that you want a steady/exclusive relationship with them, you ask them to be your girlfriend/boyfriend.

What Girls Said 3

• I think dating is just getting to know each other and bf/gf is like saying you are an exclusive couple... so if you are with anyone else in a romantic or sexual way then you are cheating

• Dating doesn't have as much of an emotional investment. That difference is very vague, so let me describe it this way: A relationship (boyfriend/girlfriend) is when you decide whether you'll be monogamous or not.

• You can be a gf and bf with out dating but if you are dating you are usually bf and gf

Bf +Gf doesn't have to = dating

But

dating usually = Bf& Gf

What Guys Said 3

• it's the same isn't it/

• I always thought that dating means just going on a date/hhanging out with a girl not being in a relationship with her.

• Usually they are used to mean the same thing. Though dating can actually mean dating, as in going on dates to get to know each other before you become bf-gf