Are women better at accurately judging a person who is interested in them than men?

There is a theory that the less attractive a man is the more likely he is to assume a women is attracted to him since evolitionarily speaking it is better for him to over than under assume. I certainly know this doesn't hold true for all men but after reading the article in Psych Today months ago I also found some other journals that women are just better all around at picking up on the vibe even when the guy is trying his best ot hide it. But I think women probably do some overassuming themselves. Thoughts?

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, that might have some truth to it. I myself virtually can never tell if a woman is interested in me, and most guys really can't either, they just assume that the woman is and playing hard to get, or they are so deluded with themselves, they really do think everyone loves them.

If that is true however, I would like to make one similar observation. Although women might be better in telling who is into them, given how many times women have gone with guys that most other guys including myself know full well don't care about them at all, and are just using them for sex, I don't think they are very good at knowing WHY a guy is interested in them.

• I whole heartedly agree. Interest is one thing and depending on the guy it usually takes me about 3 dates (or to make out time) to know what kind of interest. *sigh*

So consider that maybe we aren't always playing hard to get, if I like you I call it "getting to know you". Because once sex enters into the equation that part goes out the window. Thanks for the comment truly helpful.

• To clarify, I was just talking about guys who don't take no for an answer, they just assume that the WOMAN is playing hard to get even if it is an outright rejection. Thank you though :)

What Guys Said 3

• "Evolutionary" explanations for human dating behavior are usually weak, lacking evidence, and tenuous at best, especially as they relate to "psychology."

I wouldn't put much faith into these, uh "theories."

Just to provide some counter-argument, it could also be assumed that it ISN'T in the ugly males interest to automatically assume the woman is interested, b/c if she isn't and she feels he wasn't sensitive to her nonverbal cues, she may inform her female counterparts of his insensitivity, lowering his chances of reproducing.

My explanation is as far-fetched as the dumb "evolutionary" theories so often propounded by the media today.

CHEERS!

(ps, on a whole, I believe in EVOLUTION, just not theories related to human dating behavior lol)

• Yes, I think so. Many men don't have the insight or intuition it takes to get past the clouding of their egos (read blind arrogance) or other factors. Although the point made earlier here about women not being necessarily able to sense why a man is attracted to her is very true.

• I've never assumed/thought that a girl's been interested in me, though I generally assume that they know I'm interested in them.

What Girls Said 4

• I think most women are.

• I don't know how that can even be tested. I'll go with the safe assumption and say no. There's no way to tell.

• I don't really know for other women, but not me, that's sure

• I think women have more experience being on the receiving end of romantic attention, so I find it believable that on average they may be better at recognizing someone's interest in them.