Can men have monetary standards?

Girls say they want a guy who makes at least $X salary. I have no problem with this and wish to join; I want a woman, if I were to take one, who made at least my salary or better with the reasoning being that this means she's ambitious, frugal, intelligent, and practical.

Is that incorrect thinking, that a person who is of some wealth would hold those traits? Mind you, she had to make that much annually; a wealthy female who inherited the estate is of no use to me.

• Makes no sense
  • Makes yes sense

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it shouldn't be about particular amounts, but I think it is perfectly reasonable to seek a partner to is able to contribute to the household in an equal or at least significant manner. And it's absolutely fair for men and women to hold similar standards. In fact, I think it's ridiculous for anyone to hold standards that they themselves do not meet, male or female. For example, I don't think it is right for a person, male or female, to only be willing to date a person who makes a certain dollar amount a year, when they only make half of that or don't bring in an income at all. That's some grade-A bullshit right there. Different story, of course, if after getting together they start a family together and decide as a couple that one can and should stay home while the other works.

What Girls Said 5

• well, in my state the average salary of someone in your profession would is $75,000/year, or top 10% 118,000/year. so, I guess I have no chance.

personally, I don't care what the guy I like makes, though to be perfectly honest a man making so much more than me would be intimadating. I'd feel weird.

• You can have whatever standards you want. But there are plenty of people out there--male and female--who work their assess off to make very little. How much someone makes should not define them.

• I don't want a hard worker I want a smart and successful one.

• Alright. Sorry for sharing in the first place

• Forgiven. Never return.

• Yes men can, women have them too afterall. Like if you have money yourself then it's okay. Because no one with money wants to get with someone poor. (In my opinion)

• I think is fair for both, that way one will not depend on the other financially. Also, some woman usually have monetary standards even if they don't match them themselves.

• Sure go ahead. I don't see too many guys ever doing that though.

What Guys Said 4

• I think people can have whatever standards they want. Considering how often men get fucked over by divorce I think refusing to marry anyone who makes less than you would be a good idea.

Being ambitious, frugal, intelligent, and practical doesn't nessesarily equate to wealth but someone who is wealthy most likely has those qualities.
    (with the exception of celebrities, strippers, pornstars, and trust fund kids)

• some guys might care bout it basically

• in this day and age women are career driven and expected to fork oput on living expenses with their man so its only fair if she asks for x amount you do the same

• Hey it's 2015 and feminism claims to want gender equality. We should start demanding a certain salary minimum since we always end up losing a lot more than women in divorces. It's time to turn the tables.

• While I honestly wasn't thinking this that is true.

• So you want to change human nature? Evolutionarily females are hardwired to prefer mates with resources. For men, fertility or attractiveness is more of a concern when choosing a mate. Would be difficult to change our nature.