How important is someone's religious beliefs to you when deciding to date them?

Do they have to be the same religion or beliefs as you? Such if you are an atheist do they have to be agnostic or atheist as well.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sharing the same beliefs is a must. We'd be too different since religion is extremely important in my life.

What Girls Said 2

• No they just have to have similar morals and values :-)

• Very. I'm not very religious so I don't want anyone expecting me to change

• Would you be open to dating someone if they were religious but didn't judge you or pressure you from your beliefs?

• I would

What Guys Said 10

• I don't think agnostic and atheist would clash much. Muslim vs Christian... hell yeah. Atheist and Muslim or Christian, hell yeah. Its actually happening to me now. I was in love with a girl. She is so gorgeous and cool but lately she is getting so religious and churchy that its putting me off so bad. I believe jesus was man who pissed off the neighborhood and the romans nailed him to a cross for his efforts. She on the other hand is telling me that I must be grateful for what jesus did for me and shit. So its becoming a bit much and putting me off.

• Yeah that doesn't sound like it is going to work out. Religion can be a major issue and most cases a deal-breaker

• For me personally, I don't judge people as good or bad by their religion. I know many great people of all types of religion. But when you together as a couple, its different. Because your behaviors do spill over to another person, its the problem with marriages and long terms. If I want to go get trashed at the pub on Easter , its not going to gel well with my SO who wants to go to church on that day for example ha ha.

• Haha! Yeah that isn't going to go very well for you if you did that. I agree with what you are saying.

• i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text_5.gif I'll date anybody religion wise, BUT I'm atheist. Now I won't have that GOD vs NO GOD argument with them

SO there shoulnd't be any problems unless her parents want to put their 2 cent in it I guess

• I see it as a mutual respect between the two not to try to change the other person. Love the Kickussion lol.

• Yeah I like that GIF also

I'll goto church and stuff with her BUT I'D BE DAMNED if I prayed through LOLOL

The TOADS have a cuter 1 (Partner-in-crime GIF) ^_^

• I can't really trust the judgment of someone religious. If you honestly believe there's some magical being in the sky who tells you what you can or cannot do, which you cannot show any serious evidence for, I can't trust you to make good, rational decisions. Plus, religious people, particularly those from Abrahamic religions, tend to have highly questionable morality, especially when it comes to sexism and homophobia.

And the same goes for any sort of pseudoscience too. If you hold beliefs that you cannot defend scientifically, I can't form the respect necessary to hold a serious relationship.

• of corse since im an atheist basically!

• I think I couldn't be in a serious relationship with a religious girl. I have no respect for religious beliefs so there would be too many clashes between us. Don't get me wrong, I do respect religious people, but not their beliefs.

However, if we are talking about a one night stand or something like that, I don't really care.

• As long as they aren't a Jesus freak or some psychotic satan worshipper, then I really don't care at all.

• For something casual, it doesn't matter. For something long-term, it's more important. They don't have to have the same religious beliefs, but compatible beliefs on major issues is important, as well as agreement on things like parenting.

• Oh yeah for parenting that is really important

• I'm atheist and I would never date someone who was religious.

• Huge, religion is a big part of my life

• Only somewhat important. If she's majorly religious, then I highly doubt we'll mesh well together and that things will work out.

But otherwise, if she's not judgmental about me not believing as she does, then I definitely don't have a problem with how she believes.

• This is exactly my mentality. I'll respect them and their beliefs but I expect the same from them in return.