Is intelligence an essential trait in a partner?

I find that a display of intelligence and promptness are key elements to finding the right partner. Since I am still in university, and if I have a crush on someone that looks decent, intelligence is how I sort them out. I basically rate their ability to debate on a scale of ten since opinion matters and then I rate them on a scale of one to five on their ability to recount our readings. Am I just being way too harsh?

• Intelligence is essential
  • I am to lazy to think
  • Beauty is all that matters!!
By the way in option B it is "I am too lazy to think" for all the grammar nazis out there.

Most Helpful Guy

• well she needs a certain level of intelligence haha!
    i would like her to be on the same level or more intelligent than me
    but if i fall for a girl with a few loose screws i wouldn't mind hahaa!
    i can just teach her =) and help her get to my level and beyond

What Guys Said 9

• Intelligence is a very attractive and necessary trait for me.

• I actually prefer a partner who isn't quite as smart as me, or just as smart as me. She really doesn't have to be a braniac, just smart enough to have interesting, and fun conversations with.

• Intelligence is a must for me. I'd say ~57% intelligence, ~43% looks.

(Although, it usually ends up being ~125% with 65% intelligence and 60% looks, heh)

• It doesn't work out well for my dating life because I am on my way to get a master's degree. If the other person is not on your EXACT intelligence level then it will never work. I am so tired of less intelligent women attempting to date me.

• LOL! I think you need to start looking for a person in your Master's program or at least advancing from their undergraduate education!

• For a serious relationship yes it is. There's a lot of decision making and planning to do so I would like to be with someone I can rely on.

• For me it is I don't wanna date a brick wall.

• I'm not going to date someone I can't have a cultured talk with.

• Intelligence is important but it depends on what type of intelligence. Problem solving abilities, people skills, being smart enough not to be a burden are all important traits intelligence provides. However her having an understanding of advanced scientific formulas or being able to debate means nothing to me. To me those are off shoots of intelligence that have no worth to me.

• Everyone wants someone smart but not everybody is smart. I ain't gonna lie. A nice body can make up for intelligence. I would date a girl even if I knew she wasn't a match for me but she was hot as hell, the sex would be worth it

What Girls Said 5

• I'm all for intelligence, but judging them on the ability to recount the readings is a terrible way of judging intelligence in my opinion.

I want a guy I can talk to for hours and learn things that I've never thought of before. Someone who enjoys being educated and strives to achieve his goals. That's how I measure intelligence.

• I mean they should recount the readings, but there should be more to a person than that. Look for depth. And your not being harsh.

• Lol! Thanks I just wanted to make sure my standards were not ridiculous :)

• I think similar intelligence is crucial... You must be able to have at least a slightly more engaging conversation with your date then your dog, lol.

• Appearance has and will always be key. Its shallow I know but that's what the majority of people go for. I know several professionals (dr's, lawyers architects) that have EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL partners but are complete air heads. You'd think they'd go for a normal smart girl but no they have the brains and money aready so they go for the beauty. Yet intellect is normally used by women when it comes to finding a mate but that's only put into practice when theyre comparing al their future dating prospects on a scale of who is the better looking one and makes the most money. Now all the ones at the age of "50+" who have never been married and are terrible at dating strt to feel the cold lonely winds go by and they go with whatever goes by that's hen most say "all I want is a good person" better that than dying alone.

• I definitely agree that women are more concerned with intelligence while men prefer beauty. The reason I believe that educated men do this is because they do not want interference of any sort with their occupation but rather a partner who either just nods 'yes' to everything or someone younger and full of energy to look after the kids while they go bread winning!

• definitely true

• Intelligence is good, but without goals and motivation it's not that impressive to me. I would prefer a guy of average intelligence who's ambitious and works hard over a lazy genius.

• For the most part yes I need someone who can hold an intelligent conversation around serious issues. I don't need that all the time.