Is physical attractiveness important to you?

My boyfriend is not the most attractive guy by today standards, but I love him with all my heart. He has the most beautiful personality to me.

How important is physical appearance to you? Would you rather date a person that looks good? Or would you have them be average-looking with an amazing personally?

Most Helpful Guy

• While most guys will deny it. It is important. The thing is, what guys see as attractive can differ. The media doesn't determine physical attractiveness by the typical guy's standard. It has its own standards that many guys may see as attractive, but many also don't.

What I will say though is that physical attractiveness is easily a leading cause as to why a guy will not be interested though. Being in the US you can easily see how many guys and girls are overweight. It's a real turn off and instead of trying to get in better shape we are slowly seeing people trying to enforce unhealthy lifestyles in the form of "acceptance" movements. We're seeing girls spend hours in front of mirrors covering up what they don't like about themselves instead of simply getting in shape and being healthy which makes them more attractive without makeup compared to a girl who is covering herself in makeup just to be seen later while the guy ends up being turned off. It's disappointing for the guy and heartbreaking for the girl when it happens.

Guys who say "looks don't matter" also need to stop lying. Looks do matter. How much they matter will differ but there's only like... 1% of the population who really could care less about looks.

• I agree with this. we need to stop encouraging unhealthy lifestyles. although, it isn't laziness that's causing so many to be overweight, it's poor dieting.

• Guys can like different traits (some might like breasts over butts, for example), but there's an amazing level of agreement over what constitutes an attractive female face.

What Guys Said 58

• It is very important. She needs to "attract" me. She doesn't need to be drop dead gorgeous, but need to be able to look her and go "damn!". My standards for physical looks aren't crazy high anyway so most girls can get past that hurdle no problem

• Physical attractiveness is pretty important. I need to be attracted to them, to like looking at them, to be able to become aroused when I'm with them, but beyond that I prefer personality and knowledge. So if I meet a really hot person who is dumb as a box of rocks, and I meet a person who is attractive who is attractive enough but really fun and smart and I enjoy talking to I will prefer to be with the second XP

• Rules of thumbs:
    Physical attraction gets you through the door.
    Personality keeps you there.

In short if you don't have the looks you'll never get the chance to show how just awesome you are. There was even a survey done by a dating coach but in regards to short man. The short guy (5'2) makes billions, runs his own business, and has traits all for a good father/mother. They set up a profile for him and gradually kept changing the height. Look and behold that despite his accomplishments, and lifestyle women only accepted him and started messaging him when was around 5'7.

• Yes, I have to be physically attracted to my partner. It's not the most important thing but it's still a requirement.

• I don't care if people think I am attractive by the cultural standards, what matters is whether I am attractive to the given person or not.

• u srs m8?

OF COURSE it's important. If I liked the girl's personality, I'd probably date her if I'd give her a 6.5 out of 10, or higher. My crush right now, I'd give an 8.5.

• There are people I find physically ugly that other people fawn over, and its directly related to their horrible personality.
    On the other hand, I've found some girls attractive that no one else did, because of their GREAT personality.
    So attractivness for me starts with their personality anyway haha

• It is important, I wanna feel attracted to that person, but she doesn't have to be the most attractive girl ever, I rather she's average but with an amazing personality, after all, what makes me fall for her is her personality.

• I think that a person's physical appearance is more important on a cold meeting, a cold meeting being one where you're going in knowing nothing about the other person (i. e talking to a stranger in a grocery store, bar, mall, etc.). It's that initial physical spark that gets your attention. However, if we're talking about someone that you've gotten to know over some time and are finding yourself attracted to them on the whole then aesthetics becomes less important, though physical beauty is always a bonus.

• yeah both in me and the girl i'm gonna meet with basically

• Your only 16 over the course of your life once you live it more... you'll realize sometimes your just attracted to a person because of their personality and not so much their looks and other times your attracted to the hot one

If physical is important, depends on
    How attractive you are
    Have you dated sexy guys or haven't
    Point in life
    Age
    Perspective

• avg with a great personality as long as she isn't hideous i am fine =)

i usually date pretty girls though, sometimes thay have good personalities sometimes they dont

• Looks are important to me but personality is more important to me as looks won't do anything if thier personailty is horrible and vice versa.

• Average looking with a good personality.
    Obviously looks play some part of it. Everyone has standards. Mine aren't high. I'm attracted more towards someone's character than I am to their body.

• Eh. To a certain extent, yes. Average is good enough for me, especially if she had a good enough personality to make up for it :D

• Wouldn't be a huge issue to me - Looks are not that important to me.

• Of course it is, I couldn't be with a girl who I didn't find attractive. Whoever, this doesn't mean she has to be universally attractive and straight 10 to any guy, no. Thankfully, all guys and girls have different tastes and as long as it is me and only me who sees her attractive then is enough. Her personality will close the deal though, they're equally important.

• Well sounds too me like you are a demi sexual (person who falls inlove with personalities)

Most of us as bad as it sounds wish we could be with that perfectly attractive person of the opposite sex (blame the media) personally I can't be with an overweight girl or with a girl who is average (I know I;m shallow just trying to be honest.

Sadly I can't feel aroused with average looking girls sadly this is why most my relationships ended up horribly.

• yes it is to some extend. i won´t like girls that are fat (or are like heavier than me). also i have preferences about facial structures and other body features. but it´s not as "strict" as that just sounded.

• What about... a little chubby? :3

• Lol, you can't be obese and say you're "a little chubby". Am I right?

• right ^^ a little bit on the hefty side is totally fine for me though :D

• I'm not TOO picky with appearance, though seems like a lot of women I tend to attract are rather unhealthy looking...

• it is yes, but i believe a good number of girls can look good if they actually dedicated some effort into it. Many do not, which is why many look kinda slobby

• Yeah it matter, but I'm also not super picky either. I'll take the average looking girl with the great personality.

• good looking id a requirement for me, haha. dating without sexual attraction is called platonic friendship...

• Yes it is. However, the level of attractiveness that I consider dating material is not as high as one might expect. However I do for instance, find myself inexplicably attracted only to woman of my own general race/ethnic background.

Different people have different thresholds of perception in which they will consider a person attractive. Men, I would argue, are far more interested in a woman's appearance than the opposite.

• is this too much to ask for? http://oi57.tinypic.com/2epo8x1.jpg

I love brunette a with a light skin complexion

• An average looking person with an amazing personality. As long as they keep up with their hygiene, it won't be an issue.

• Of course it is incredibly important to me.

If by amazing personality you mean a personality that is ideal to me, then option two (begrudgingly).

• Defiantly. If I dont find you physically attractive then its a no go, im sorry. That being said, If i find you attractive and I love your personality, Id like to talk to you more than the girl thats more attractive, but is as dull as a rock.

• It just depends on who you are. There's no right or wrong. I used to just go for looks but now I want somebody who I can have a laugh with and is smart enough to carry a conversation. Looks don't hurt though

• If there is no physical attraction, nothing else happens.

• More from Guys
    28

What Girls Said 26

• most definitely. i'm far more interested in a bomb ass personality, and looks are a bonus to me, but it obviously is first impressions that make a difference to. I'm not gonna sit here and b like 'oh i dont care about looks' ...

i will date a man who is wonderful inside and out, to the standards that i love.

• As much as we'd hate to admit it looks are important when it comes into play towards our emotions. We have to be or feel some what physically attracted to that person.

With that being said they don't have to be the most attractive person in the world because what they're lacking physically they make up in other ways.

But we can't say that physical attraction isn't important because if we don't find the other person attractive in any way, shape, or form regardless of their personality it just won't work.

• I think you have to like them physically at least enough that you don't get grossed out thinking about kissing them. At some point things are going to get physical, at least kissing, and you need to at least be a little bit attracted to them for that.

• I guess for me there is something that would attract me, like say he has nice/pretty eyes or a great smile but might be a bit overweight and has a funny/nice personality. If there wasn't something that caught my eye, if he hung around me a lot, I could maybe develop feelings for him. I've dated different guys with various body types, but in the end if they're jerks, then it's not worth it.

• While looks are a nice thing to have, for me personally I choose personality first. When meeting someone i don't judge someone by how they look, i get to know them and their personality. If it leads to more than awesome but if not I'm ok with it cuz they are a good friend. I rather have a guy who treats me like a princess and with respect than be with someone only cuz we may "look good" together. However if you ever meet someone who has an amazing personality AND great physique then better keep them close! Lol 😉

i know ur comment is a one year old champ and we should probably celebrate his bday but i wanna ask u, cause i liked what u wrote up there, do u think i should give a chance to a guy i'm not physically attracted to, but he is average looking and mostly hadsome (he just got some extra pounds that made him look "older" compared to previous pics) and he's treating me so well so far? do u think I may eventually like him and be attracted to him? or do u think i should be honest and not hurt him?

• I'm fine with average with a good personality. By average I mean someone who is healthy and active :)

• I need to be attracted to them. I don't care if anyone else finds them attractive, I just need to find them physically attractive to be interested.

Although, sometimes I think someone is okay looking and after getting to know them I find them attractive. Personality can make you more physically attractive

• I think that personality is absolutely most important, I wouldn't want to be with a guy who has model looks but treats me really bad, but still there has to be some attraction I think. I have to be somewhat attracted at first to a guy I'm interested in, but he's often a lot more attractive in my eyes if I like him.

• Well looks does play an important part because you wouldn't approach someone who doesn't catch your eye, but in saying that once you meet someone that has an amazing personality and everything he or she does makes you happy, you literally fall in love and get attracted to everything about that person! ^_^

• I think both matter because you can't be in a relationship with a person you don't feel attracted. But also, you can't love someone just because that person is good looking.

• average looking guy with an amazing personality every time. literally physical attractiveness is only important to me up to a point

• good looking people can have great personalities as well. I don't get why so many people on here don't realize that.

I want a guy who's very attractive, by my standards, and has an amazing personality.

• Physical attractiveness? No, not the most important thing. Being clean and hygienic is more important... and I would rather have an average looking guy with a great personality and some brains!

• 50% physical attractiveness
    50% personality

• Obviously to an extent. I have to fancy them. It doesn't neccersarily mean they are gorgeous, just attractive to me.

• "Average", per say.

• They usually have nice qualities about them that do make them attractive.
      Apparently my type is cute and geeky looking. So some might think they're average yes. Personality to me can make a whole lotta difference!

• True, they do.

• balance is nice (and if he smells good woaah :) aha and personality matters even more when looking for a serious relationship

• Yeah, physical attractiveness is important. Gotta have the looks!

• Looks are good for a first impression, but in the end personality wins over because a person gets more or less attractive as you get to know them.

• I have to be physically attracted to someone, but that tends to be enhanced by an emotional connection for me

• Yes but not as important as personality

To me anyways.

• I think it's all about balance, you can't really pick one or the other, you know? Personality weighs more in my opinion but looks do play a big part in that initial attraction.

• Average looking with am amazing personality. (Like me ;D)

• You're pretty though. :3

• I think I'm pretty average I mean I don't have amazing features (my nose is to big for my face :/) but I am happy with how I look most days! Thanks anyways though 😘

• I would rather have an average looking guy with an amazing personality

• average looking, amazing personality.

• I just have to be attracted to him.

• Well obviously he won't be the MOST ATTRACTIVE guy lol there's only 1 in the world.