Dating my doctor?

So, I was in patient at an eating disorder clinic and upon leaving my psychiatrist gave me her business card and told me to call if I ever needed to talk to someone. I got pretty drunk a few days later with friends in celebrating my return to the real world and since my Psych was so cute and we had enjoyed talking and we seemed to get along well and she actually loved The Hobbit (original cartoon) as insanely as myself, I kinda drunk dialed her and complained that I had two tickets to Rocky Horror Picture Show LIVE and no one to go with. ....annnnd she said she'd always wanted to go to one of those shows so I drunkenly invited her and she actually accepted. And the night of the show we wound up hooking up. Ik it sounds strange. But it really was fantastic! And I called the next day to apologize but she just laughed at me and said she enjoyed it. We've been seeing eachother ever since without telling anyone and have even fucked a couple times in her office. How long should we wait before telling our friends and family? Don't want drama.

Most Helpful Guy

• Tell them whenever you want bro i don't see it as a big deal at all just because she was your doctor doesn't mean there's an impenetrable force shield that says you guys can't be attracted to each other or date. that no dating your doctor rule is made by the doctors so if she is cool with it then so should everybody else.

What Girls Said 4

• depends if there is a huge age difference, aka if she is much older then you, this could cause drama in the family especially if she is old enough to be your mother , a lot of people don't like this , because they see it as a situation where its not fair on the younger person, ( the older person dies much sooner), or because a younger person and a much older person together is frowned upon in society and is seen as pedophilia even if the person is over 18. , talk to your doctor about it , see if she wants the relationship to remain secret or if she doesn't mind you telling your family and friends. also talk to your doctor to find out if you guys are on the same page... ( dating, hooking up etc). if their is a huge age difference id recommend you wait , incase your family takes it very badly. if there isn't then you can tell them whenever you both feel comfortable with it. :)

• Younger man with older woman makes more sense, to be fair, what with women typically living longer ;)

I worry about my younger partner, tbh >< I'll just have to try and live a long time, I guess.

• yh that does make more sense , :)

• u'd be surprised that they might care anyway, don't forget the average age to marry use to be almost half the age it is nowadays. nyways im sure thats fine, just talk with your doctor/gf , see how she feels about it, if she is fine then dont worry what others think and go ahead and tell everyone. its important what you both feel about each other, not what others say or think :)

• If you're no longer her patient then it's perfectly legal.

Here in Michigan I had a DR who would constantly flirt with me and make moves on me. He was attractive and I actually got to know him more but ethically it was wrong. So I just discontinued my visits with him and got assigned a new Dr.

• First of all, congratulations to both dealing with your eating disorder and finding someone to love 🎉👍
    Next of all, if you are really in to each other I think you should tell them relatively soon.

• She's breaking professional boundaries and could lose her license for dating a patient.

• Could and probably should. If it happened that quickly and with so little encouragement, it's probably not her first time 'fraternizing' and likely won't be her last. Very unprofessional.

• "All physicians are required to practice in accordance with the American Medical Association’s Principles of Medical Ethics. Because these guidelines can be difficult to interpret for psychiatry, the American Psychiatric Association provides further guidance with The Principles of Medical Ethics with Annotations Especially Applicable to Psychiatry. The following excerpts from annotations to the first 2 principles spell out the basic concepts underlying appropriate psychiatrist/patient boundaries:
      ‘A psychiatrist shall not gratify his or her own needs by exploiting the patient. The psychiatrist shall be ever vigilant about the impact that his or her conduct has upon the boundaries of the doctor/patient relationship, and thus upon the well-being of the patient. These requirements become particularly important because of the essentially private, highly personal, and sometimes intensely emotional nature of the relationship established with the psychiatrist.

• ‘The requirement that the physician conduct himself/herself with propriety in his or her profession and in all the actions of his or her life is especially important in the case of the psychiatrist because the patient tends to model his or her behavior after that of his or her psychiatrist by identification. Further, the necessary intensity of the treatment relationship may tend to activate sexual and other needs and fantasies on the part of both patient and psychiatrist, while weakening the objectivity necessary for control. Additionally, the inherent inequality in the doctor-patient relationship may lead to exploitation of the patient. Sexual activity with a current or former patient is unethical.’"

www.currentpsychiatry.com/.../...34220d15dd79.html

Note the last line of that paragraph. This is taken from the APA Principles of Medical Ethics.

I'm not saying she will lose her license, but her behaviour is unprofessional and it is a risk that she's taking by dating you.

What Guys Said 4

• If she's still you doc then I think she could lose her license. So if keep it to myself.
    If she's not, I don't see why you should be worried about drama.

• TLDR but i gotta say... you dogg... high five!

• Whats her age? If she is older too much older than you then you should wait a little.. More

By the way Nice job there... the experience of having sex with an older women would have been so great right?

• Haha yea it was awesome! I'm 22 and she's 33 so not too big a age difference

• Damnnn 33 year old women and that too a doctor... Thats hot... 😁😈😈👍👍

• Seems it is a good p*rn plot, basically.