What's your opinion on online dating?

Have you ever been in an online relationship? Did it work? Any scary stories? Did you fall in love? Did you eventually meet? Tell me your stories/opinions! Thankyou.

Most Helpful Guy

• Online Dating is different. It's processed and inorganic. People's motives are scatter-shot, at least on free services like OkCupid and Tinder. I can argue that it's even harder for the average guy to find a date online, because it's so easy to do comparison shopping without the human element giving pause to your conscience.

The broader range of girls face the opposite problem. Countless guys message them, and they have to determine who is serious and who isn't. Guys can be pigs, and deceptive pigs at that. You have to avoid being taken advantage of by the "upper 5%" of men who know they can get almost any girl they want (for sex) and won't stop milking this formula for success.

When it comes to paid online dating sites, the results are much better. If you're willing to put money down to meet a long term partner, all the riff raff goes away. I haven't tried a paid online dating site.

• TBH I haven't seen much difference from paid to non paid sites other than the communication is easier and no limits on it. Maybe I've just had bad luck but eh tis what it is.

• @TheOnlyWhom

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've heard a lot of feel-good stories about paid sites, so it's nice to know it's not some perfect haven before my dollars float into their pockets.

• I mean like i said its done me better than the free ones. I do have a really really good friend off one who her and I wanted to really get together but its complicated. If you want to know the story i can share but all in all I'd say Match / eHarmony are pretty good ones if you willing to put the time into it and be genuine with yourself and the people you meet.

What Guys Said 8

• I say doesn't hurt to make a profile and try it on a free site like OKCupid... but it shouldn't be a main dating focus.

Women tend to be really superficial on there, and men tend to not get as much "positive female attention" when online, because women get absolutely slammed with messages in their inbox.

Therefore many guys get "'lost in the shuffle" because these women can get 30 inbox messages in a single day!

• Been on online dating for quite some time now. Unfortunately for me there had been little to no success. Some of the women are only on there for hook ups so once they find out what i stand for they take off. Others start talking to me then give me the excuse after about 2+ months of talking of not wanting to exchange numbers or Skype or meet up in public because "they aren't ready" or "weren't sure what to expect" or w/e excuse they come up with.

I do however have a couple of really good friends I've met through online dating who i can go to and talk to for anything. One her and i talked about getting together but is a very long and complicated story of why we haven't gotten together.

So in short, im not the best looking guy and am relatively reserved so all in all online dating has done nothing for me.

• I've seen online dating from both perspectives. for a guy if you aren't hot, rich, tall, or a bad boy its soul crushingly hard just to get a reply let alone a date.

and if you're a girl of average or above average looks you will be flooded with messages not neccesarily from the ones you're interested in though and you have to sift through the rif raft to find someone decent

• No, but I've gotten many fake emails and fake likes and stuff from all those fraudulent dating sites that I went on.

pof. com seems to be ok.

• I'm new to online dating as well aha.
    Mostly I have found that some sites are just pretty much used for hook ups. Which is not what you want when looking for a relationship :)
    Are you thinking about trying online dating?

• need to give it a serious try

• I think its bad to be honest.

• Haven't tried but someone told me that its awesome 😊 n wbu?

What Girls Said 3

• Hate it!! Hate the idea of it!!! You really don't know if your talking to someone who says who they are they could easily lie to you! They can even kill you...

• But what if you Skype or facetime and it's the real them. Should you continue?

• never say never. May find yourself 10 years from now divorced with a kid working full time job and have 0 time to date traditionally and all the sudden online dating is like that goose that lays the golden eggs. Almost too good to pass up.

• I can't have kids idiot... I have a thing called cancer, and a thing that will kill me if I even try to have a kid... Thanks for your input.

• I met my boyfriend on POF. I've never been happier. I dated a handful of unsatisfactory men from this site also, i was literally stalked once and i had one guy "surprise me" at work... I was on there for 2 years. I only used the free ones, i imagine you may have better luck if you are willing to pay, people probably take it more seriously. Bottom line: i think i am extremely lucky, and would be very careful if you decide to do this!

• I'm giving it a try, but I haven't been in an online relationship :)