Why wait for sex when your older?

I've seen a lot of people say "wait until your older" or "I wish I waited" I'm just curious on why? What are the benefits? Do you wish you had waited? What's the youngest age you could imagine having sex at?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well a lot of people do it because of religious beliefs. others do it because they want to save themselves for someone special or marriage. personally would say your under 18, you should wait, you are very very unlikely to end up with your first at that age. it is very worth it in my opinion to wait for the very special someone you will love forever.

What Guys Said 4

• I think waiting until you are 18 is a good choice.

At that age you are you are young but still mature, responsible and can make good decisions. You have the capacity for love and strong feelings towards the other. I think its best to wait for someone you feel strongly for and are in a serious relationship with.

Waiting longer than that is a little irrational and there is no real benefit from it. The only reason anyone should do it is if its a strong moral of theirs or they have strong religious beliefs that tells them they should wait.

I think that If you aren't very religious or have any moral against it, you should have sex around the age of 18, maybe in college. It should be with someone you feel strongly for and trust. I think that people regret it if they don't wait until then.

• Older as in at least 18 is smart. But if they mean like mid 20s, then I think it's dumb.

• To each their own but for me sex is only something I will do with my future wife, this is based on cultural/religious reasons and my morals in general

• I just wanted to do it and while we where together for 2 years after the sex, it did increase intimacy some but no where near what I have now with my wife. Personally this is why I wish I had waited.

What Girls Said 3

• "Older" and "wishing to wait " all has to do with the maturity this person felt they lacked at the time.
    Some people have sex at a young age (under age) and don't regret it because they did it for the right reasons.
    -they weren't peer pressured (they did it because they wanted to).
    -they did so responsibly (condom use)
    -they didn't do it to follow the crowd
    -they didn't give their virginity away to someone that used them for it (or turned out to be a complete jerk after) -they did it with someone they trusted and had feelings for at the time.

These are all contributing factors as to why some people wished they waited.
    If they were older and more mature they feel as if they wouldn't have made those mistakes

• So you don't lose it to the wrong person or regret it. What's the point of having sex when you're 13-16? To me, that's stupid and I had more important things to think of than wanting some guy who would most likely not care about me screw me.

Middle/High school relationships do not last a lifetime. I have only seen ONE do that.

Anyway, I'm still a virgin. And no, I don't regret it. I could have lost it many of times but I wouldn't have respected myself.

• They say wait, because when you're young and in high school, who ever you do it with, is probably not going to be who you marry. Waiting allows you to know what you want, and truly be in love. I'm still waiting to have sex, it doesn't mean you can't kiss guys. Sex should be special, it's intimate and should be with someone you love. And I think when you're older and more mature you realize how important it is.