Can you be friends with someone who you like, but rejected you?

Say you got feelings for a friend, you confess them, but were rejected, could you still be friends with them or not?

Most Helpful Guy

• I confessed to my best friend. I wrote a 6 page letter describing my feelings and what I wanted for us. We spoke 4 1/2 hours about it. She rejected me, albeit gently and in a caring way. I cried for 3 days and was depressed for a while, but I was able to accept her answer and move on. I still harbor those feelings for her, but I know she doesn't want me that way.

I told her that no matter what, she would always be my best friend, and no matter who she chooses to go out with, I'll back her up on her decision. We remain really close friends to this day.

So yes, if you choose to not let your grief blind you to what you already have, it is possible to stay friends.

What Girls Said 10

• It would be hard staying friends with someone I want so much more with.
    I don't think I could stay friends with this person.

I would say Hi every now and then when I see him.
    But I wouldn't be actively talking to him.

• on the flip side, do you think you could remain friends with a guy you rejected? even if he was ok and willing with just being friends?

• On the flip side,
      Yes.

• DOn't do it. It's a trap! You will always end up hurt. You must stay civil/polite with that person, but you don't have to put yourself in a position where they tell you how they fell in love with someone else.

• Yes, I could. I've done it before. As long as they don't make it awkward, then I won't.

• I have before. He stopped talking to me after a while, though. I was totally devastated by that. I've had other guys like me and I rejected them, but we still remained friends.

• I think it's possible, but it may be awkward for a little while.

• I would feel terrible, of course, but I think so.

• i don't think so

• i guess not

• Tried and it's just too awkward

• I hope people can, because I just turned down my best friend. I did it in a gentle way and he is feeling down so hopefully he'll turn around. I don't want to lose my best friend

• Yes it is possible. I'm friend's still with a few guy's I've rejected.

• No, I couldn't.

• why not?

• I could. It is his decision to remain friends.

What Guys Said 10

• Sure it's possible to be friends. I would continue to be friendly polite courteous etc toward them. But for me emotionally I'd move on because any affection toward that person would be wasted and that could impair forming a meaningful relationship with someone else.

• yes it's possible... if u get over the fact u've been rejected... it's possible basically

• Yes we could still be friends, it's actually very doable. I've been rejected by a friend before and we were still friends (I still had feelings for her as well).

• Not a chance in Hell

• on the flip side, do you think you could remain friends with a girl you rejected? even if she was ok and willing with just being friends?

• You sound like the guy that depends on others.
    If you don't value her as a friend, you wouldn't bring up such a topic.

Even if you were rejected and it didn't go out to your favor, that shouldn't affect your friendship.

• not me dude, im not in this situation lol

• I don't think so, no.

Once I go to that certain place with someone, I don't think I could throttle back and "just be friends." I'd always want the whole enchilada.

• That's called "the friend zone" it's best to stay away. I have several women in my "friend zone" and I distance myself from them as I know they want more than I want to give and it would be wrong to string them along like that.

• I've made a running practice of it bro.

• I think keeping my attraction in check would be a waste of energy, so no.

• Yes, if she doesn't want you as a boyfriend it doesn't mean she hates you, you two could get along as friends.