Guys, hhy did he initiate a hug, when we don't interact with each other?

I liked him once, but got rejected. He liked a another girl. It didn't work out between them. This guy act like he really like me (stares, overhear my conversations, act really loud around me, insecure when it comes to me, body often turn towards), I don't think he likes me though, when he's drunk, he's on a hunt for sex.
We don't interact at all. We have a lot of mutual friends, so when they hug each other hi/goodbye we avoid each other. So the fact that he initiate a hug is really weird.
I had just hugged someone goodbye, I pulled away and I could see the guy from the corner of my eye, he was looking at me hugging (which he always do in these situations) then he took a insecure step towards me. But because I didn't make eye contact he stopped. I raised my arm and he walked over to me.
Why did he initiate a hug? We never hug, talk or anything?

Please don't write; ask him. We don't have that kind of relationship. Again we don't interact, also we live about 2 hours away from each other.

I did try once and he rejected me. He was in love with someone else, however it didn't work out between them. He know I liked him once.
I don't know if or when we'll met again. We live about 2 hours away from each other

1

What Guys Said 1

• He probably likes you and the thought of hugging you made him nervous.

Or he could have just felt awkward because he didn't know whether you wanted him to hug you or not.

• He is sending signals that could mean he likes me, I don't think he likes me. So it could be a combination, he didn't know if I wanted to hug or not and he might like me. There must be some reason for him wanted to hug me. Normally we avoid each other in hugging situations

• I did try. He rejected me. He was in love with someone else and it didn't work out between them.
      I don't know if or when we'll meet again. We live about 2 hours away from each other
      I'm too afraid to approach him again.

• I think you just have to talk to him more next time you see him. You can also message at distance.