What age gaps are appropriate?

I met this girl and I really like her, she is in 8th grade (13) and I am in 10th grade (16). What age gaps do y'all think are appropriate for teenage dating?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that's fine... she'll probably be 14 soon anyway, right? I personally wouldn't have that big of a stretch but I have plenty of reasons for it. Your situation may work out wonderfully. I say it's fine.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's fine as long as you are in the same school (at some point).
    So I guess a 3 year age gap or less is good, when the youngest person is 13.

Most people tend to disagree though...

What Girls Said 6

• Ahem I am a hypocrite on this one but here I go.

I think that at your age... That's not a good idea. 13 and 16 are on two completely different ends of the puberty spectrum and maturity wise there's no comparison.

I know because I was the 16 year old in this situation once. And when I think about it now I feel SUPER creepy. I'm still with him though. Only now he's 19 and I'm 21. I'll be 22 before he turns 20.

I'm going to tell you right now that it will be absolute hell if you try and date her. Wait until you're older. You may be meant to be but the struggle of having a relationship before you're emotionally ready is totally not worth it.

• You're pushing it in my opinion.

I believe the 7 year rule after 18 is adequate. For you, I wouldn't even try.

• Kinda odd honestly. I think that age gap would be fine if you weren't in junior high and high school.

• Right now, people might think it's weird because of the fact that she is in junior high and you are in highschool, but once you get older no one will even think about it.

• Probably 3 years difference.

• That seems like an ok age gap because she's in her last year of middle school. 2-3 years is good.

What Guys Said 1

• I was in a situation like that.

• What did y'all do? How did it work out?

• It was weird and we were kind of pressured into it. You know the " You guys would be soooo cute together" thing. It was hard to break that shyness and awkwardness but you have to break that and learn to be comfortable. Especially since people tend to look down on older guy relationships

• Ok, we just spent a week together on a church trip so I think I have gotten passed that shyness. Thanks.