Is an older guy dating an underage girl wrong?

i have a niece that turned 16 this year and is dating a guy that is turning 21 this year. Before meeting this guy she was an all A student, active in sports, student council and had lots of friends. Now she had quit all her extra curricular activities, her grades have dropped and she rarely sees any of her friends on account that she is always out and about with this guy. I supposedly hear that he is a nice guy that has things going for him but if that's the case how come he can't find someone closer to his age that he would have more in common with? i feel it's wrong what this guy is doing and that he is taking advantage of a young girl that just doesn't know any better, which is a why there are laws against this. They spend a lot of time unsupervised and I am pretty sure that they aren't just cuddling and talking about her homework and teachers. So what's the pollo this scenario?

• yes, it's wrong, guys this old should not be involved with girls this young
  • No, age is just numbers

Most Helpful Girl

• The thing is that I used to think that dating an older guy was chilled, but they want differnt things and are able to do different things than 16 year olds and it's naive to think that's all they doing.. There could be more going on and if her grades and values have slipped then it obvious she's involved herself in an unhealthy and detrimental relationship that could affect her future.

• I Just don't want see her ending up pregnant and ruining her future, this guy obviously isn't worried about any of that. She just had so much going for her before this guy came along

• Yeah for sure, I just hope she's making the right decisions.. Because bad grades are one thing, a baby is another

What Girls Said 6

• Dating is usually synonymous with having sex, especially if they're in a relationship.

A guy that age should be wanting the girl to focus on school. He sounds like a loser and I feel sorry for your niece,.

• There is not a doubt in my mind that this dude is a loser, if he wasn't then he would have no trouble getting with a women that is closer to his age and that he should have more in common with, instead he is with someone that is too young to know she's being taken advantage of

• As long as there's no sexual contact and he's not old enough to be her father it's ok I suppose.

• It's all but guaranteed they are getting busy, it's like I said a guy that old isn't wanting to hear about her teachers, classes and homework, he would've hanging around if he wasn't getting some.

• If a guy is dating a girl who is younger but legal thats fine but if he's dating her and she's a minor than thats not ok

• If guys date underage girls is wrong but if girls date underage guys it's like an achievement. Society is stupid.

• Both are weird regardless of gender.

• Try again. Look at all the women teachers being sentenced to prison for doing it. It may be an achievement for the young guys, but that's because of the stigma that "getting an older person is cool in high school".

• I think it depends on how mature the 16 year old girl is.

• She's Not at all mature, very selfish and self centered typical teenager

• "Typical teenager" - not all teenagers are this way!
      But in relation to the question and judging by your description of her, I'd say it's wrong.

• I'm 17 engaged to a 26-year-old. The judgement is the worst part of it. Don't judge her. Support her and encourage her to make the right choices, but do not try to push them apart. It will only make it worse.

What Guys Said 9

• Depends. Is that legal? 5 years isn't that much, I expected him to be like 28 or more with all this text.

• As long as he's willing to wait til she's 18 and that they haven't done anything sexually yet, and lastly the age difference is not that much, I don't see why not.

• its wrong but don't get the police involved because your niece is just as guilty as he is. Sadly even if you DO call the cops she is going to deny that they are having sex (because they 100% are) so your hands are pretty much tied. your best bet is to talk to her about the grades at the very least. Remember young kids do stupid things

• Well it depends on what is actually going on. Is the guy manipulating her because she is younger or is he respecting her. I would say the law would think it is wrong depends on the age of consent, in your country or state.

• It's wrong, if only from a legal standpoint. And unless the girl is exceptionally mature for her age it's morally wrong too. Plus the guy is probably a creep.

• unless she is 18 or older she problably shoudlnt mess with guys in their 20's

• You should get on her for her school work though

• I think their age gap is fine but maybe he's the wrong TYPE of guy

• Age is just a number, sir! Don't worry!

I'm 54 years old and my girlfriend is 19 years old!