Are artists selfish?

are photographers, artists (sketchers, painters) selfish? in a way they contribute nothing to the world. I mean who needs them?

Most Helpful Guy

• Photographers are indeed useful, and art itself is transitioning to a digital canvas that better recognizes your Photoshop/Illustrator skills than fine motor skills and coordination on paper.

I was invited to an animation studio (after making impressive character sketches for a pilot) to observe how cartoons are made, and I didn't see people hard at work with pencil sharpners at their side. They used digital screens with styluses.

Sure, pencil and paper have their place, but when it comes to having a career, you need to get industry-grade skills. Painting on a canvas might be dying, but creativity is not dead and never will die.

• Actually painting on a canvas is quite alive, it just a separate area altogether, digital related art is for shows and games while canvas art is for personal collections, house decoration and so forth. Two separate areas both alive and well, they just have their own types of people and areas that they fit into in all areas of the world.

• @Phoenix98

I was more speaking in terms of career earnings potential, where the bulk is. Yes, you can make money in boutiques, but 5-6 paintings per month at $200 average consistently is not only low, but difficult to maintain.

There's money in licensing paintings to mass distributors but we're talking about 1% of painters getting that gig.

• It really depends on how good you are and what groups you are part of most of us do it via selling both the originals and prints. Being part of the right groups also gains you a lot of attention in the right areas from the right people, true it is hard to get to that point but it is entirely possible.

Source : my father is a master level oil painter.

What Guys Said 18

• Artists tell stories and inspire others. They contribute a lot more than they're credited for in the world. Artists are the bridge of the imagination to the physical plane.

Without the creative, you would have no Game of Thrones or World of Warcraft. You wouldn't even have buildings or smart phones.

Artists also put a lot of risk into their profession. Can be highly difficult to make a living drawing and writing for others. So they should be some of the least selfish people in the world. (Compare that to Stock Traders who literally do nothing productive, or corporate CEOs who make billions and sit on their wealth doing nothing while their loyal workers earn minimum wage.)

Without art, earth is just "eh."

• We artists are most certainly not selfish in addition to my classical oil painting and writing I also help out elderly and help to train people in physical fitness to help them get healthier and stronger for the better.

As for art it is so much more then strokes on a canvas, layers a paint or even ink on parchment. Also being an artist does not mean you paint art is separated into the three great arts, there are artists in all three areas of the artistic world. Though when the word artist is thrown around it mostly directed at painting.

These are the three great arts and within these arts there are many sub categories portraying to regional styles, personal, wide spread, genre and so on.

1. Painting
    2. Music
    3. Literature (poems, novels etc )

• If you can earn money by doing something you like, then all the better to you? So what if you're an artist or a salesman? Every one is selfish anyway.

• it entertains some people and not others, its supported by those people so it doesn't really matter.

• O_o
    what are you smoking?

• I don't think that they're selfish at all; art moves people and makes emotions tangible.

• Ummm... Are you sure that you are ok today?

• i feel selfish for pursuing my talent which is drawing... i feel like i should be doing more of a productive degree...

• According to Oscar Wilde (according to the Internet): 'Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.'

If drawing is a talent and passion of yours, and you work on it and communicate it effectively to people, there is a chance you will come across someone who sees value in what you do.

But @YazanAA said it better than I ever could. Great comments.

• @muspelhem_5 thanks man although I believe that you said it better than me :)

• If you're trying to make a living with art it may be hard but it's still valuable to society. W

It adds to the beauty of the world if we're all too busy to stop for a while and enjoy beauty, smell the roses so to speak then what's the point?

• A little unfair there are 3 massive artist/photography/drawing resources deviantart , Renderosity , and flickr not everyone can take a correctly setup photo i spoke to maybe 30 people at donington last year and most said they could not take a shot like me and actually asked me for tips some photography people are quite nasty but prove to them you are capable then they usually respect you it took me 2 yearly seasons to fit in at my photography club i am now one of the clan

• Last time I checked, the Mona Lisa was still generating revenue for France. It's a small piece of canvas with paint on it, and it is attracting throngs of paying visitors each year. I could say the same for Van Gogh's paintings and the Netherlands.

• No, I believe that God's creation, beauty and personality comes forth not only in creation, but through people in their creations as well. So, in that sense, art is another way to lead one to the Creator Himself.

• No I see them contributing beautiful art.

• Unfortunately, hardly any of them are.

• Nobody is obligated to do any particular thing, much less contribute something of value to the world.

• I don't know, are they?

• This is so dumb..

• How dare you. I work so hard on my stick figures. Gonna go in the corner and cry now

• They're pretentious tossers, yes.

What Girls Said 14

• This is sloppy and not super cohesive or organized but:

They contribute to new ideas, social movements, promote ideas, and give us some truly beautiful things. Would would each society's culture look like without art? It would be depressing and very monotone worldwide. Each culture and region of the world has developed architecture unique to that region which has ties with engineering and religion. Churches and the art in Churches were designed to inspire awe from its' patrons, the tall Gothic architecture symbolizing connections with the heavens and meant to impress and inspire. Hindu artwork, Buddhist temples and statues. Culture, art, engineering, religion, identity.

Photography captures moments in history. History has many perspectives and is often told by the "winners". They may remind us of human suffering and history we must keep from repeating. War creates an "others" effect where we lose sight in the other's humanity and war photography or just photography of any kind may provide that.

Music and political and social issues: Lennon and Bruce Springsteen protesting the Vietnam war. Can provide a platform for ideas no matter what they are. Can also be exciting, moving, beautiful, pumps you up (to work out to) whatever.

Poetry and stories interact with each individual language. Legends, heroes, and art a source of national pride and create a cohesive identity possibly bringing together multiple ethnicities in a single state. Music - national anthems and national pride.

Art, while having ties to specific countries can also transcend borders and be appreciated by anyone in the world and bring together new communities.

What does art do? It creates and nourishes culture, creates unique diversity, and inspires the world.

I would also say they are not selfish, they have a right to seek their own ends. I also disagree that it is a waste and that it contributes nothing to the world. What a depressing and narrow world view.

• an Artist should have an Ego and a powerful individualistic view. and that isn't related to selfishness.

when you are 'creating' your art you sometimes need to be selfish about your art and that might be misunderstood by some. That means if you have that self centered feeling while creating you will have a more powerful individualistic view and therefore your work will be more genuine.

Artists for sure are not selfless, but they are not selfish. Selfishness is made of an excessive self love and fake Ego and the person doesn't have control on it.

Artists have a powerful Ego and have control on it, being an Artist means being a controller of self.

__
    And If by selfish you mean "doing for oneself" yes that is true. Artists do their work for themselves and for a satisfaction inside first and people are secondary viewers of that self expression. if you don't have that feeling it will be a duty that you do with your skills more than an expression of self. and that self expression is what makes your work genuine and without that your Art won't have that special artistic value.

people don't want to just see a beautiful sight they want to see a different view to world.

if you have talent, a strong set of skills and a more powerful individualistic view then you will be a good artist.

If you have skill and don't have that individualism then your works won't be as genuine and won't be as interesting as an individualist artist.

And if you have that individualism and don’t have enough skills then you cannot express it good enough and you will be like many expressionist artists of today that make something that’s nonsense and then want to put some artistic value on it just because of that individualistic view.

and artists contribute everything that makes humans 'human'. painters aren't the only artists. Every great thinker and creator is an artist in his own way. Philosophers are artists. inventors and architects are artists. da Vinci was an inventor...

• Hahaha Everyone can be selfish and everyone can be altruistic/caring/kind if they want to...

But only speaking from their job perspective, I don't see them as selfish at all.
    It's subjective.

That's why you see them as selfish, while I've never met anyone who thinks that way about artists.
    Maybe because we are all artists...

I disagree completely.

• Art is not selfish. They do contribute something to the world. Just like a fictional book for example (which is also art). It tells a story or bring a feeling upon people or makes people look differently at the world around them. Art can make people happy, sad and can make people think about themselves and the world more. Do you take art class and/or art history? I have art class (also art history) at shool and it really made me appreciate art more.

• Art is a means to many things. For others to evoke emotion or even wonder and thought. Makes u think or feel. It is also for the person to express themselves, to enjoy, and perhaps so much more too.

Hmmm I feel it could only be selfish If u are taking away from somebody else. If u are not, it is not selfish. Every choice u choose to make is selfish, a lot of times

• Everything is worthless. Don't worry about contributing to the rotten social order. Don't spare a thought for your value as a person. Only guns and paintbrushes exist. Continue to draw :)

• Ummm rude, their work is valuable and do contribute to the world. Most of the talent they have everyday people like you don't have. Chill yeah, let them be :)

• Ouch, dude.

• People can be selfish regardless of their profession.

• They add beauty to this world and they entertain some people.

• I sketch and do not consider myself selfish I put others before me.

• No this is a talent that not many people have. Be grateful.

• how do artists not contribute anything? think back to the early 1900s, there were no phones and it was much more difficult to take a photo considering lack of technology and the cameras they did use. if a family wanted a photo of them they had to sit still for at least 15 minutes just to have a portrait. thats why most of the time their eyes were closed, they werent even aloud to blink or else the picture would be messed up. what about the pictures in history books for example. most of them are sketches/paintings because thats the only way they could record an image then.

since new technologies more people have the option to create art but that doesn't mean theyre selfish. art is something that is very expressive and innovative and does take a lot of skill. art is something that allows people from different cultures, countries, and backgrounds to understand each other. it may not speak out to everyone but to some it is the most powerful voice out there. without photography and painters/sketchers we would live in a very bland world. not everyone is the creative type so they might not understand the impact but that definitely doesn't mean artists are selfish. artists contribute a lot more than you think.

• If you don't like them, don't buy art, simple as that.