Was anybody else ever taught the rule 'divide your age by 2 and add 7 and that's the oldest you can date' ?

Just wondering if it's just some weird rule that went around New Zealand

Sorry yeah I mean youngest you can date, not oldest

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's pretty common knowlegde, but in my opinion a retarded rule.

I can find no scientific basis for it; on the contrary I found an article pointing out that it doesn't correspond to what people actually find socially acceptable. Also, it obviously works differently according to which age you are.

What Guys Said 11

• Nonsense.
    Date whoever the fuck you want to I say tho I DO have to admit going younger REALLY is testing on that generation gap lol

• I wasn't "taught" it but I've heard it. It's basically just a rule for how young the girl you're dating can be without you being labeled a creep.

• It's just a general guideline.
    Your age divided by 2 plus 7 is the youngest you should date.
    Your age plus 7 is the oldest.

• Yeah I've heard of it plenty of times lol
    I think guys mainly use it for how young we can date and girls use it for to see how old lol

• I haven't heard of it, if that's the case then I can a 16-year-old..
    If they're mature, I'm fine with that tbf.

• Yes but It was used to determine the youngest you could date when I learned it. I think that makes more sense.

• I think Hugh Hefner used that rule for the oldest he can date. Or maybe he subtracts seven.

• Lol so if I'm 2, the youngest I can date is 8. Seems a bit old for me.

• 17/2+7 = 15.5..

Meh I guess that'd be the absolute youngest I'd date but still feels a bit young

• Nope. I was told "Is she legal?". If so, game on. If not, ignore her.

Basically, date whoever you want and don't worry about these silly rules or what other people think about your dating choices.

• I say it on here a few days ago. That's not a rule. I've dated women way older than me. Not that much younger though.
    But when I'm 45 I want to date an 18 year old.

What Girls Said 2

• I'm sure I've heard it for dating younger, but typically I date older.

• No, but that's quite interesting. Never heard of it before