Would you date a "white-washed" asian?

for those who don't know,

"A derogatory term used to describe a minority who has assimilated with western society. The "White washed" person does not necessarily abandon his/her own culture but rather embrace others beside his/her own. Some people take it as a compliment while others take it as an insult. "

-according to urban dictionary lol

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes I would. It's just very unlikely I'll see eye to eye with her depending on how she became "white-washed". If she's a self hater, goodbye. If she grew up listening to the same music I do, ate the same food I ate, and watched the same shows I watched, we could have a LOT in common and that would be awesome.

• aha yeah i was thinking the second, cool

What Guys Said 18

• To me, Asian girls are generally equally attractive as white girls. Infact, i have a major crush on an Asian girl right now! Haha

• In fact I would prefer it.

• Get what you mean. Most White washed Asians actually dotn seem to value their oriental roots, so they r a definite NO NO! But ther are some who grow up in a more westernized society but have respect for the traditions and cultures which they came from, they r a definete YES! so its Yes & No. Ultimatly depends after studing the person for a few days or within time spent together. after all it won't be fair to judge the book by its cover?

• okay that's fair.
      and i really don't like people who disrespect their/or other cultures.

• I'm that person thanks for your kind words!

• welcome!

• No, only because I don't like the look of most Asian women. Funny thing is both my parents are Thai and people say I look mixed.

And you're taking what urban dictionary says seriously?

• nope just reference for people who dont know, plus urban dictionary is quite useful at times (though i dont completely agree with this partiular definition)

• sure y not?

• Yeah but what is a white washed girl?

• That would probably be easier than a non white washed.

• i guess because of you're own culture (guessing you've grown up in a northamerican country)

• The more separated your expectations are about roles or expectations or how you think the other is supposed to behave or react the more careful you have to be to avoid misunderstandings based on those different expectations.

Those can be overcome often by discussion but so many things we normally just don't think to discuss.

With regard to dating, different cultures have different expectations about who pays, how serious dating is, how soon and how physical to be, who initiates, what they expect the other to do to indicate desire versus rejection etc.

• wow really insightful, i'll be keeping that in mind
      thanks for the comments.

• No, I would not.

• You mean someone who is westernized? Yes. I find Asian girls are very mysteries and they have beautiful smiles.

• yeah "westernized," and okay cool

• Why is western culture synonymous with being white? I am Hispanic and think the term white-washed is ridiculous.

• oh just a word (i thought) more people would understand. Likely because "western" used to refer to the people who first settled in the West, and they were white.
      or maybe my history sucks.
      but fair, "westernized Asian," but that sounds ridiculous too lol

• lool ok i need a history lesson apparently :P

• But most people don't assimilate to their cultures anymore...

• Yeah, I would. Asian girls are generally very attractive.

• interesting thats good

• Well, I would date a girl from any race so Asians are no exception.

• What is that?

• That would be preferred for an Asian-American girl i'd date

• to clarify that doesn't mean she should forsake or be ashamed of her culture, her culture is of course a big part of her and shouldn't be forgotten. But just follow the mainstream and societal norms of the country you are in, that's all i'm saying.

• nope i meant it as in grew up in a more western culture, i dont know why it says "derogatory" since usually its not offensive

• I agree completely with what you said.

• I don't know what you mean by white washed but if you mean would i date a white Asian yes I would.

• I am this thing you speak of. I'm interested in reading the answers...

• Oh so it's kinda like an uncle-Tom lol gotcha and yes I would I have dated some of those girls lol

• lol whats uncle-tom

• But yes the other person is right some people don't mind and others might see it as a raises comment

• yup gotit

• I have not heard that term. An Asian girl would be my second choice if white women weren't available.

• lol when would they be "not available?"

• Exactly. But the Asian girls are runner up.

• all minorities should white washed

What Girls Said 10

• Yeah why not

• Haha I've done that. It's pretty fun.

• The only white washed Asians I knew were the ones who were adopted by white people.

No, passed.

• No I wouldn't.

• im okay with it. why not?

• Interesting comments. I need to tell my sis to come back

• aha yeah its interesting
      where'd she go?

• Thank you :) She was a foreign exchange student and lived with my fam for 6 years. I consider her an older sis I never had.

• 6 years is a lot, it'd be good to have her come back :)
      i'd love an older sister, so cheers to you!

• Yes I would if it was love it doesn't matter who or what they look like

• true :)

• Just remember love may win over war and be peace with one another everyone is different.

• aliens will probe your brain

• No. I wouldn't date anyone who's "white-washed". That's wrong.

• hmm why

• Great :)

• Aaha @hypno-trip

• No, I would not.