Girls, hypothetical dating question?

So lets say that you've dated a man for several years and he was a sweet guy and you both really loved each other, and one day he gets into a bad car accident. He survives but he has some brain damage. It doesn't have an effect on his ability to function, but although he still loves you he is sometimes really mean to you for seemingly no reason. It's not entirely his fault and he will be heartbroken if you leave him, but at the same time you aren't being treated with the decency a person should be treated with. Would you stay because you love him and care about him or would you leave because you want to be treated better?

• I'd stay
    30% (9)
  • I'd leave
    17% (5)
  • I'd think about it
    53% (16)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll

11

Most Helpful Girl

• Even though making him happy would be a priority because I'd love him.. but I have to love myself first. Just like what @hyperorphic said, I'd leave if there was no fix. He doesn't deserve to be unhappy but I don't either. And someone being unappreciative, and taking me for granted would drain me.

What Girls Said 10

• As cruel as it is, I would leave if there were NO WAY to fix it. If they couldn't repair the neurological issues, I would definitely leave. I won't sacrifice my own happiness for anyone if they are going to verbally abuse me - even if it isn't technically their fault. I shouldn't have to give up my whole life because of uncontrollable circumstances.

• Relationships are when people connect and love each other, as well as support each other through everything. If I'd been with him several years and we still felt strongly for each other, I'd stay and support him. Of course, if his anger/meanness ever turned violent, I would have to leave. There's no excuse for violence.

• Well I'd generally agree that there's no excuse for violence someone who has brain damage by definition isn't able to mentally function properly. It's not something you should put up with so you'd be right to leave but at the same time you can't blame them, it's simply not their fault. .

• This is such a good question. I'd probably stay with him for as long as i could till i'd have enough of him and would probably have to accept the fact that i need to move on and leave.. it would be hard but it would be right.

• I think I would try and tough it out at first because of my love for him but eventually his mistreatment would wear me down and I would end up leaving.

• I don't know. There's no way to help what has happened, but he would definitely have changed...

I think his mistreatment would cause me to leave like @candadchic said.

• That's hard to answer when feelings are involved

• Well that's complicated... I would stay as long as I felt his being mean to me is an issue we could work out. If not well I wouldn't stay with him out of pity bc that's just something you don't do. You can love someone with everything you have but I your not happy with them it just won't work.

• It's not an issue that can be worked with, it's brain damage.

• Like I said if not then it's not worth staying with him if you can't both be happy.

• I'd need reassurance after on why he acted so and for him to be verbal on an apology or something. He'd have to show me after hew was randomly mean that he still loved me that sort of thing. but i think after a bit i'd get tired and i'd need to move on to a healthier relationship.

• I'd like to think that I would stay, and I probably would for a while. But eventually I think it would wear on me enough to the point where I would eventually leave.

• I would stay, his happiness depends on me and trust me I no little tricks to make him so happy he would never get angry...

• It's brain damage, it isn't controllable