Guys, the L word is driving me crazy?

My boyfriend told me that he loved me just after two months and I did not feel the same. We've been dating for four now and I still don't feel as if I love him yet but he keeps saying it. I only said it back because I didn't want to hurt his feelings. Help!

19

Most Helpful Guy

• It is ALWAYS a mistake to say that you love someone because it is expected of you. Now, not only do you not love him, but you have lied about your feelings and he might think it was part of a conscious and deliberate plan to manipulate him. Telling him will only cause harm and, while I never espouse being dishonest with a significant other, I would not tell him under these circumstances. Give the relationship a few more months to see if the feelings develop within you and, if they do not, it is time for you to move on.

What Guys Said 18

• Why would he even be your boyfriend if you don't love him? He should just be a guy you are dating until then. I would suggest that you consider breaking up with him. He clearly isn't the one for you or you would feel something for him after 4 months. That should be plenty of time for those feelings to have happened if they were going to happen at all.

• So your telling me that until I LOVE someone I shouldn't call them my boyfriend?

I think we both have drastically different definitions of love.

• No you shouldn't. Why would you be in a committed relationship with someone you don't love?

• If you don’t feel the same way then it is what it is. Don’t let him think otherwise because it’s going to end up hurting him even worse when he finds out otherwise. You need to be honest regardless of how much it may hurt his feelings. Your dude more than likely has some co dependency issues if he is telling you this this early in the realationship.

• the L word get's tossed around a lot, this guy sounds like a tool for saying I love you before you'd want him to,

Suave guy rule number 1.) Don't tell a chick you love her until she either says it first, or begs you to, otherwise you risk screwing things up just a tad bit.

• Just stop saying it. When he brings it up tell him exactly how you feel. basically what you put here.

"You said it, I wasn't really ready but I said it back because I didn't want to hurt your feelings"

If he flips out I wouldn't have wanted to be with him anyway in my opinion, if he handles it with grace and understanding then it could be a damn good sign he really does care for you.

• People progress at different rates. He may to an extent but stay true to yourself. Love is a big word people tend to throw around. You could say... I like you, I'm just not there yet.

• then u don't really love him i suppose... better b honest with yer feelings

• It is because he has different requirements for love than you, or a different definition. It was the same for my wife and I. I started saying, I love you, because I really felt that way with her. She did not until several months later. Her reasoning was that she had to make sure that she did love me, and that I would not hurt her. She had a complicated history with her family, so she had higher demands. I just continued loving her until she realized, "hey, he really does love me."

• You dont love him? are you sure? I think you are indecisive... think honestly to determine if you love him or not... can you stay away from him for long without any problem? do you think there might be someone better than him out there... if you think there is someone out there who would love you more than your current boyfriend does... then you might consider to break up... but if you are not sure you may want to confirm yourselves before you break up.

• Then you do love him >:D admit it!

• He loves you and he likes to tell you that he does. He likes to express his feelings for you... Bad?

• Tell him to not hurry. Everytime he says he loves you don't reply. Just kiss him on the forehead or on the chick. Not on lips.

• Fine maybe he should say I like you. Maybe you two should separate so you can analyze your feelings for him.

• Be honest with yourself and your feelings.

Me and my girlfriend tell each other we love each other every day. We are true to our feelings.

• Tell him how you feel about it

• Then, you need to have the guts to explain yourself to him... and perhaps encouraging him to move on, so you can be with someone on your wavelength. Don't give him the wrong impression.

• Sounds like it might be time to let him go

• Do you see yourself EVER being in love with him at some point? If not, you're misleading him and wasting his time. Don't have a relationship with someone if you don't feel the same way about each other.

• Ughhh
    I once accepted a girl I never loved but just to not hurt her
    Trust me I still bear the guilt 😔