Where did the tradition of men paying for the dates come from?

In the United States and perhaps Canada, men are expected to pay for dates, why? Most European countries we split the bill. Where was this tradition made?

Most Helpful Girl

• I pay when I go out on dates. Or at least tries before he slaps my hand as I reach for the bill lol

What Girls Said 7

• I'm pretty sure it stemmed from archaic gender roles and back in the time periods where women didn't have an income so who ELSE was going to pay for dinner?

It was also was how a man would court a woman and show his interest (still is).

• It was probably just to show that he could support her financially if the relationship were to progress into marriage.

• interesting. I like to pay evenly like when we go to the movies he pays for us to get in and I pay for popcorn and maybe drink (if we don't have royal cup). I honestly hate when guys pay for me for everything so I love to chip in!

• From the past. When women didn't have jobs and were housewives. They were dependent on their husbands and so that's why the husband payed for everything.

• I only let him pay if he insists and I didn't order anything... Haha, I don't know where it came from. But I feel bad to make him pay for my meal.

• From men traditionally being the breadwinner.

• I don't know but I know some guys just hate this tradition , but personally I find it nice when at the end of the date a guy pays , guys barelly do this any more but it is what a true gentleman would do and girls take notice of those little things like opening a door. So guys pay the bill it will be worth it

• Wait... so if we have to act like gentlemen, does that mean girls have to act like ladies?

• I second @AleDeEurope if guys have to act like gentlemen they should be getting a fine lady for all their efforts.

What Guys Said 12

• Women barely were allowed to work, so they had little money, therefore the man, the one with much more money, was the one to pay. Nowadays it's just a tradition that many girls follow because it benefits them, if that wasn't the case, I'm pretty sure they'll be against it, just like how they have fought for what wasn't fair and against them.

I don't know why in European countries they split the bill, I never had a real date when I lived in Spain, but I had a friend that payed for everything.

• From the begining of time. man has paid not only to take women out but to marry a woman.

It sounds like no one pays attention to history or biblical works.

• Whether long ago, or today, it is the responsibility of a man to take care of his woman. Women were designed to be man's helping mate, not sole or equal provider.

• I assume it stemmed from the 1800s to early 1900s when women would usually stay at home until they got married. So the man would be the one to pay on most occasions since he was the one working and the women was not.

• Women having jobs used to be rare and so women didn't pay for dates because they physically couldn't as they had no money.

• Probably from Nabisco or some shit

• I don't know I think it's because guys are expected to pursue women and not the other way around. Part of the pursuit of financial investment. Buying her gifts that sort of thing.

• It is purely based on dependency. While I fund the dates while going out with my girlfriend, that is only because she is still a student and once she gains the financial independence, there'd be a split, to which she is agreeable.

• jesus fucking christ whoever does the asking out should pay.

Usually its the guy

• Caveman days. Men hunted. Don't be a pussy

• When the feminist were able to leave the kitchen.

• Men used to be the primary breadwinners (or the only breadwinners), on top of men being the ones to ask the women out. So they provided the date to court her.