Why do girls claim they don't care if a guy has money when they clearly do?

I think the only reason women say this is to avoid being labelled as golddiggers.

When I was very young, I used to think it's BS that women look for rich guys till I spoke to a girl who said to me, "I didn't think ____ was attractive till I saw what car he drove. All of a sudden he looked sooo good to me." I almost started laughing like it was supposed to be shared absurd joke, but then I realized she was serious. And she was speaking to me like I would understand. Because the percentage of other women who 'understand' is so high, as I've learned over the years. Since then I've seen women who:

Marry exclusively for money while being rather honest that they don't particularly care for the guy (sometimes, even to the guy himself).

Marry for money, while outright not liking the guy and being miserable in every aspect but living standards.

Pick out the richer guys of the lot when looking for men to date.

Operate exclusively on the 'Someone's got to be with the rich guy, why not me' principle.

Marry men they love, but wish (just a little) that they made more money.

Marry for love, but end up outright resentful that he doesn't make as much money as other men they may know (regardless of what they themselves bring in).

So in short, I think women care. Apparently, they care a lot.

Most Helpful Girl

• Some of us truly don't care! Sure, there are plenty that do. But I have my own job, my own money, a retirement fund, and I live well within my means. So I don't need his money. It's a bonus to share expenses, yes. But I don't mind paying my own way, splitting costs, or taking turns. What I want/like/need from a man has absolutely nothing to do with $$$.

What Girls Said 9

• Why can't you guys understand that there's a happy medium?
    It's not like as soon as I learn that a guy is rich and raking in the dough, I'll by default want his dick. It'll make him look better intiially, sure, but that in no way means he won't have to measure up in all other aspects as well. Obviously I don't want to be with a guy who's making minimum wage income, and no plans on getting a degree and earning a decent salary.

If I get along great with a guy and he's got a good career going, that's all I'd really wish for. Frankly, the richer the guy, the more skeptical I am of his potential. I feel like a lot of guys who've got money throw it around, be all flashy with it to compensate for other areas they may be lacking in.

• By placing an emphasis on getting degree and a "decent" salary, you're in gold-digger territory.

• ... didn't realize being a gold-digger was the equivalent of wanting a partner who was well-shaped as a person and who would be able to share financial responsibilities with me.

• Do I care if he is rich? No.
    Do I care if he has any money at all? Yes

I don't want to be his mommy and drive him everywhere and buy everything for him. I don't expect a guy to do it for me either.

• Usually those type of girls just want to marry a rich guy so when they settle down they can buy whatever they want without a care in the world. They also usually want to brag to their friends about all the nice things they have. Even my mom told me to marry a rich guy or don't marry at all... I personally think I am the opposite. Usually I pay for meals and waste a lot of my own money on others. My friends started joking that if I get bankrupt they won't be helping me because I like to pay for stuff so I don't feel like I am in debt...

• Did you hear that guys? One woman said it so it MUST be true. Welp, the sham is up, dammit. No a lot of women are not like that. I have been poor for most of my life and I know the value of a dollar, I even felt weird when my ex boyfriend bought me a birthday present. I would never rely on a man to make the money, they can, but I am a human therefore I have the ability to work and I want to work. Money = freedom, therefore, I want to have my freedom (yes I have a job currently).

• I don't care, as long as he's good looking, has above average intelligence, full head of hair, in shape, and is fun and affectionate, I'm good to go. (:

• I only care because that means he can pay for his own shit

• Money are nice, wtf do you expect? Men go for the hot ones, and some women just like money, why is that wrong?

• I care if a guy has money I don't want a guy who is not financially stable. I don't know where you heard that but I do care if a guy has money. He should not be broke and he needs to be able to take care of himself.

• Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8 no h8. Troll harder next time k?

What Guys Said 2

• I suppose it's because money is falsely portrayed as evil or something of which to be embarrassed.

• If she talks about it or writes about it, she cares about it.