Would you date someone who has HIV?

There's a guy at my school who contracted HIV from his girlfriend after having unprotected sex. He broke up with her sortly after. Would you date someone with this virus?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I hate to say it but no, I don't think I could.

1) HIV is a very serious disease. I don't know if I could be with someone who would inevitably be sick and have to worry about the emotional attachment to someone who could very possibly die from this disease.

2) I wouldn't want to risk contracting the virus myself. Even if the person is taking antiretrovirals and protection is used, I would still be very uncomfortable. Even coming into contact with the blood of an infected person can cause the virus to spread to someone else if that person has a tiny cut themselves. I just feel like it would be too risky.

What Guys Said 17

• i seriously doubt that i would... but love has a funny way of making people do shit..

• Hell no! That means both me AND my future children would be infected!

That guy is screwed for life.

• I would say yes but after after an awful lot of thought about what it entails - What you can and can't do safely. What it means on a personal, social level.

• I would if I truly was in love with her. The drugs today are much better than what they used to be. Reduce the chances of transmitting it. Look at Magic Johnson. His wife doesn't have it and they have children together. She has to be on a strict HIV drug regimen tho.

• It's unfortunate that he contracted it in such a way but no I would not.
    I'm not going to endanger my safety for that.

• I think everyone should be treated special. Imagine that person with HIV. They may feel unappreciated, unloved, unwanted. Of course, I wouldn't have intercourse with them, but I would take them out, and have a good time. It will be platonic, but at least they will feel wanted and needed.

• No way, I already have enough trouble with my body, the only thing missing is working out.

• nope! i know it can be quite secure if you are carefull but i donĀ“t love the risk...

• Hell no... That would spread the virus more and more

• Yeah. Maybe if there was a cure for it, but other than that, no.

• No way no how.

• No, never.

• Unless I had HIV I would never date someone with it

• The risk of infection will be too great. :(.

• I have HIV so I would still date her.

• is that even a question. of course not.

• Its funny how three guys said yes... guess there more then just the boy at school with with that issue

• No sorry. And silly boy

What Girls Said 11

• I used to have a bad enough time dating people WITHOUT diseases, much less consider taking them on if they had a disease. When I met my husband I asked that we both be tested (I get tested before each relationship I intend to have unprotected sex with). He agreed, and when we were both found to be clean, we were off to the races.

But this is such a socially disturbing disease. It's not like anything else where you can prevent others from becoming infected. This disease takes away the freedom and spontaneity of having unprotected sex, something long-term couples strive for when it comes to having a family, or simply being in the right moment for anything-goes sex. The worry of always keeping your urges in check to be safe will be on the minds of both partners, and even then with no guarantee of 100% protection, the worry would be there about whether or not the protection was safe at all.

If a partner is honest with me about their diseases, love means giving me the choice of whether or not to continue the relationship as it's my body and health at stake, and not to be taken lightly by the other person. I don't care if it's herpes or HIV. Respect means to give that person 100% disclosure if you know about it, and let them be in control of their bodies. If there was dishonesty involved, then to me, the relationship is done. If the partner truly didn't know, then that's why I ask for HIV tests at the beginning so we both do know. If there is reluctance or refusal for a test, then I don't continue the relationship. If the tests ever came back positive, it's almost impossible to tell if I would continue because it hasn't happened.

Had I been younger and looking for a relationship loaded with sex each day, unprotected, allowing semen to squirt all over the place and not want to be prohibited by getting condoms on, I would say dating someone with HIV would have been a no back then. I love sex too much and guard my health to take the risk. (more)...

• If I was older, and involved in a non-sexual relationship where there was romance, companionship, but no sex, then I don't see the problem, but the moment it would become more, I would not do it.

• No. My immune system is already crappy.

• Wow that girlfriend is really shitty. Not telling him about the HIV and so.

• No. I know there are ways to prevent contracting the virus, but I wouldn't put myself at risk like that.

• Absolutely not.

• I'd probably give it try, though I doubt it'd be a long term relationship.

• Nope. I do have some standards. It's unfortunate for him, but no.

• Generally speaking people with HIV will only date other HIV positive people.

• No way... sadly for those people who have it.

• Most people who have it can't infect others, if they are on medication.

• im gonna say no i have herpes and thats bad enough to try and get someone to want to be with me even though its harmless so i couldnt imagine anyone wanting to be put at a serious health risk by getting HIV.

• And having herpes only increases your chances of contracting it and other things. :(