Girls, Should guys always pay for meals on dates?

Ladies, i ask this because in reality, I've never really been a "real" date before. Being single since I was 13. About my entire dating or romance life. I've learned to pick up and fend for myself. Do you think it's selfish for me to think like that?

17

Most Helpful Girl

• No not at all. Some girls might expect it simply because you're the guy. If she does, she can't call herself a feminist. If she wants to be treated equally then she can't expect chivalry. Depends on the type of girl you want to date?

Some will say whoever asks should pay. My personal view is that, if someone asks me on a date and I accept, I accept because liked him and I want to spend time with him. Not to get a free dinner out of it. That's the basic premise of a date to me anyway.

I don't get offended if someone insists on paying, I think it's a nice gesture by him but I certainly don't expect it. In addition, it does make me feel slightly uncomfortable. Firstly, I have been brought up to pay my way in life. Secondly, I don;t want someone paying for me, because sometimes they think it gives them a sense of entitlement. I prefer a relationship with mutual respect. Not expectation becasue someone has paid for dinner.

I always splits bills. With my ex he'd try and insist on paying. In the end with my ex, it go to the stage, if he got the cinema tickets, I paid for dinner, that type of thing. Some girls might expect it because you are the guy, some might expect it if you do the asking, some won;t expect it because they simply want to spend time with you and aren't using you as a meal ticket. It depends on the type of girl you ask on a date. Come to your on decision on what you feel comfortable doing and stick to it. If the girl has an issue with it, at least it's a quick way of figuring out if you two are compatable in your views and beliefs. This one actually says an awful lot about someone - might save you a lot of time on someone that actually has a very different outlook on things. Good luck!!!

• Thanks for the input. You had some really good points

• Yeah I agree. I usually think a lot about these things and I tell myself that a couple should split the meal or switch back and forth. That's a reason why I look for older women because they're more secure financially. I know that doesn't go for all women or men in general but that's just me.

• Yeah but tbh I'm not even sure that being secure financially is the reason an older woman would do the paying. It might just be that her views on such things are more mature. I've been a broke student for years - my BF was working full time, I still insisted on going half. I know not everyone will agree with me because there is a cutural persumption, it's just not something though that fits with my values. Girls say stuff like it makes them taken care of. If I want affection from a guy, I'd prefer a hug than a free dinner.

What Girls Said 16

• The Asker of the date should pay the date. If I ask a man to take him out, I should pay.

I think it's truly this simple. It would be a dick move in my opinion to ask a guy out and then expect him to foot the bill as well as vice versa. Or even to split it.

• Whoever does the asking should do the paying. In a committed relationship, it should be split 50/50 (or you take turns).

• I honestly think the first date women kind of expect it, especially if you ask. She may not be able to afford to go out with you. In my opinion I like to pay for my own. But I may be less likely to say yes to a date if I can not afford it. But always try and reschedule.

• I believe the person who asked the other person out should pay

• its romantic to at least offer yes, and she spent 10 times longer than you getting ready getting all sexy for you so give her a break. The very first date yes its just an easy way for a guy to impress her, if you don't care to have that edge over the other guys trying to get with her that's on you.

• I believe women should also pay in regards to dates. But in my personal opinion, I would want the guy to pay for the first date. It's wrong for women to expect the guy to pay it all. There should always be some balance.

• Nope but you should pay for my pedicure. like my mom bf!

• No i pay for stuff too

• Definitely not.

• My dad paid for all my his and my mom's dates. If I was dating the guy it would make more sense to either switch each time or split the bill. If it wasy idea to go on the date then I would definitely pay for at least my things.

• i believe the guy should pay about 60% of the time. it's the gentlemen thing to do but us girls have to stop being so selfish and pay for the guy every once in awhile. men deserve good things too

• Not always but the person that asks the other out should pay. Which means more often than not the man pays.

• In the beginning yes but I also think the woman should offer. I think he is being more of gentleman, my bf refuses to let me pay for food and it does make me feel he is looking after me.

• It depends on the girl and the occasion. If you're dating then split it, if she asks you out then let her pay but if you ask her it's your responsibility

• No, we can go dutch

• only if the girl is paying for movie tickets and popcorn