What do you think of people that give their partner the silent treatment?

• The person that does this is acting rude and immature. It is never ok.
  • It depends, in some situations I can understand people doing it.
  • It is always ok, your partner should just know what they did wrong.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that ignoring is the one of the worst, cruelest and most disrespectful things you can do in a relationship. I had it done to me before and I think it's absolutely unacceptable. It leads to nothing that one could possibly consider as positive. Now, if there's a huge argument and one of the two people is very upset and they know they need some time to calm down or else things would just get out of hand (not necessarily in a physical way), I agree that it's best to say "I'm really upset right now and can't think straight and think it'd be better to continue the conversation once I've had some time to calm down". But just to walk away for days or weeks or god knows how long and completely ignore the other one's attempts to get in touch is just unacceptable and yes, immature.

What Girls Said 3

• I have given it and it's honestly not intentional, I'm just annoyed and would like time to cool off, to recollect my thoughts. It's often after a while of the person doing something bad/wrong that I finally get fed up of hiding my problem with it, so instead of exploding at them and saying something offensive, I go quiet and think about how I'm going to tackle the problem the best. I prefer to be quiet, than say something that could seriously hurt the person or make the problem a lot worse. It's just a cool off, whilst also letting the person know that you're not happy.

In heated arguments, after a while, I may sigh and go quiet because I feel that we're wasting our time and neither of us are getting anywhere, that I've said all I could or it's a pointless argument, so I give us both a chance to cool down and come back to it another time when we're in a better state of mind.

• I guess it could be understandable in some situations but it won't solve anything. In my opinion the best thing to do is to have good communication with your partner.

Sometimes I'm silent because I need time to sort my feelings through by myself before talking to anyone else. Maybe it could be like this in relationships too. To give silent treatment "just because" seems a bit childish though.

• Yeah I agree with everything you said and it is childish and immture to do it just because. I agree.

• I vote A. If you have things to say, SAY THEM.

• You vote did not show. Also I agree entirely. Communication is essential in a relationship. Without communication people have to make their own assumptions of what their partner is thinking and making assumptions is always dangerous. The silent treatment only leeds to problems in my view.

• People doing it so their partner can beg them for attention, because they like feeling wanted. It's so darn childish.

I voted now.

• I agree. I personally think the silent treatment is immature and childish in most situations. If the person has really done something terrible then I could understand someone not wanting to talk though for a while.

What Guys Said 4

• I can only agree to the silent treatment in a case where the person is so angry that they feel they'll say something harsh. Otherwise, it's some middle school shit.

Staying silent doesn't do anything except mirror that rift in communication to the bond between the two people. Talking about what is right and what is wrong in a relationship is pretty much the foundation of that relationship.

• If they knew what they did and are just being rude about it or not willing to help the situation I believe it's ok. When they are ready to talk it out and be mature then we can get somewhere.
    If you are doing it to be mean, or your SO has no idea what's the matter, then you shouldn't give them the silent treatment. Communication is important for a relationship. Don't give them the silent treatment if they are willing to talk about it with maturity.

• It's better than yelling or punching. I have used it to great effect in relationships.

• I think we have to say what we want to say but sure it depends because some times walking away is a good one