Is what he is saying true, or does he just not like me enough to date me?

Will he never ask me to hang with him?
Who knows if I will hear from him again? I met a guy through someone I work with... I only chatted to him briefly but he was really nice and cute and I like him.
Apparently he asked my workmate who I was and said I was hot. So I added him on fb and we have been sending messages back and forth.
Anyways I asked him if he wanted to catch up for a drink sometime when he's free. He said yes but not right now as he is "all over the place" after a "messy break up". He told me for now he just wants to spend time by himself or with his mates... But he said a couple of times that he would be keen later.
What does this mean? Is there still a chance in a few months time? Or will I never hear from him?

Is he just not into me? Was this a gentle let down?

Will he he ever contact me or not? It could take years to get over a breakup! He wasn't lying though... My workmate did warn me that he just got out of a relationship of 5 years.

P. s We are both 28 year olds... not teenagers I feel a little silly... How should I act when I see him next socialising at my workplace (i work in hospitality)?

P. s I think it's been about 3 months since he broke up with his gf... Shouldn't that be long enough? If it was meant to be he wouldn't hesitate, right?

What Guys Said 1

• Best guess, he's probably telling you the truth. In my experience, it takes as long as 20-30% of the length of the relationship to recover emotionally. That means it could take him a year or more before he's ready for another relationship. If I were in your situation, I would keep my distance and date other people. If he likes you, he'll let you know when he's ready.

What Girls Said 1

• Don't want to be the pessimist, but I've had the experience that the "just got out of a relationship" argument is just a lame excuse. You don't need to be completely over your ex to have a casual drink with somebody you're attracted to. I've heard the line before and a few weeks later the guy was in a relationship with somebody else.

My suggestion: You might have come off a bit too strong. To fix that - do not contact him at all! As hard as that might be. You're friends on Facebook, so he will be able to see that you're having a great time, enjoying your life, looking good ;) If he does send you a message - wait a couple of days until you reply (friendly but not too euphoric). Show him that you're totally fine without him and not longingly waiting for him to get over his relationship. That should keep him interested. You know that he's attracted to you - so that's a good starting point, right?