Opinions about dating a cousin?

What do you think about dating your family relatives?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 26

• Many people are misinformed on this subject. First, the highest source of law on this subject is the Bible, and it does not prohibit marriage between first cousins. Don't take my word for it; go check for yourselves.

Next, the laws again incest do not prohibit marriages between first cousins in approximately half of the states. It is entirely legal in my home state of Florida. If you get married in a state where it is legal, any other state will recognize your marriage as valid.

The genetic warnings are usually greatly overstated for cousin marriages and the risk of birth defects is much lower than the risk in brother-sister unions. Most sources say the risk of a birth defect is 3% for the general population and 5% for first cousin marriages.

One of the motivations behind incest prohibitions is that we don't want someone who is in a position of trust with a child grooming that child to become their mate, or abusing the respect and trust earned in that relationship. This factor is rarely present in first cousin marriages.

Cousin marriages are quite common in some cultures and even in our culture is has happened frequently. Most people will recite that Jerry Lee Lewis married his young cousin but they are unaware that Charles Darwin was married to his cousin, as was Albert Einstein.

The primary problem with cousin marriages is the attitudes you will encounter and the dumb jokes you will be forced to endure. No, I am not, and have never been, married to a cousin. I'm just giving you the facts.

• nah... not my thing basically...

• If the endgame in life is to pass off your genes to healthy offspring that can flourish in society, then you're doing yourself a tremendous disservice by inbreeding.

• Not necessarily. Yes, inbreeding raises the probability of recessive genes expressing themselves and if those recessives lead to bad traits, yes, that's bad. However, inbreeding can also strenghten good dominant traits. It's been done for centuries - both animals and humans.

However, @asker needs to check her state's laws. In some states, but not all, it is illegal for first cousins to marry. Ironically, in about 100 years or less, the law will be antiquated because with genome maps we'll be able to predict if first cousins would have defective offspring.

• They already visit a clinic before getting married or sleeping together. My friend's engaged to her cousin and she's getting married in 6 months.

• @vjeejr

That would be a great step forward, but I'd take the over on the century mark. The United States faces significant impediments to social progress.

The chances of inheriting undesired traits increases, yes, that was my point. But if what you say is true then marrying your cousin could conceivably be fair game if the science supports it. That seems unlikely and there are always taboos to overcome.

• I can't even phantom that

• I just wouldn't. It's as if you were dating a sibling. Cringe worthy in my opinion.

• just don't

• My friend is getting engaged to her cousin, and i happen to be the only one finding it weird!!!

• do you live in West Virginia? Because just about everywhere else it's considered totally morally wrong. Not to mention the health effects that it could have if they have a kid...

• No NY. Thats what i know and they probably do too but i dont want to be rude stating that to her personally.

• In some states it's illegal cousin marriage is illegal.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Cousin_marriage_law_in_the_United_States_by_state

• Don't worry if people find it disgusting, but you do need to check state laws on marriage and, if you plan on having kids, you need to be concerned about those kids having congenital issues because of recessive genes expressing themselves.

• Well, I personally think it's nasty as fuck lol.

But whatever floats ya boat.

If your people get down like that, then by all means, enjoy...

• that's messed up

• As far as I know, it's only safe to date only the offspring of the offspring of your grandparents' cousins.

so, NO.

Incest is bad for genetics.

• I would assume those who date their cousins have to cut off family ties because your family will notice this and question it.

• Do as you wish just don't get kids.

• There's many things wrong about that question or sentence. Talk about sharing the same DNA, well partly.

• well im adopted. so i can date my cousin. because she's not blood to me. not that I've done that. even if i did i wouldn't tell you. anyways its rejected my society in most places and if they are blood your risking the childs well being.

• That's fine...

• Dating a cousin is not Incest... I don't see the problem

• It's like one of the most known countires because of what is happening there

• Yes there are a lot of things going on here... Anyone watch the news would definitely know it

• Even animals know not to do that...

• Weird but lots of my relatives have done it some countries find it okay, I personally wouldn't.

• Second and third cousins, maybe. First cousins, nope.

• Hmm I wonder why this is anonymous...

• if it ain't hurting anyone then i really don't care.

• I am not thinking about Incest at all. That's just wrong. X).

• Dirty birdie

• never that's dirty

• how close family are you talking about

• It use to be common and encouraged by society. I think the understanding about birth defects it the main cause for turning against this practice. When medical science can fix all genetic problems easily, I suspect dating family members will become more normal again.

I don't care who people sleep with as long as they aren't cheating and it is consensual. I have actually heard that the risk for birth defects of cousins dating is the same as a woman in her 40s given birth with a man that isn't related to her. I don't see those mothers being made fun. Even if someone has a genetic disease they are are allowed to have children. So it really seems like a double standard to me.

Being raised the way I have, I think it is gross to date a family member, but I understand that is do to my upbringing. I can set that aside and not judge someone for living their life the way they want to. Part of living in a free country means that we need to accept other people will do things we don't agree with. I think the bigotry that such a couple will face will almost certainly destroy any chance for such a relationship to actually work.

What Girls Said 26

• Adam banged his sister... so, sure!!! Why not?

• Are you being serious now? -.-

• Adam did NOT bang his sister... He banged his rib.

• Not even a little bit serious... incest is a no no in my books.

• It's a no no.

• I don't want my kids to have some kind of disability or deformation, so no.

• That's jsut so wrong to date any of your family relatives. Disgusting.

• No.

Family is family. If you break up you don't want things awkward for everyone. Let alone the rest.

• Cousins are like brothers and sisters

• It's wrong and the fact that this crosses your mind is disgusting.

• My friend is engaged to her cousin

• This would be the worst mistake you can make.

• Incest just leads to inbreeding and there's plenty of fish in the sea who you aren't related to so i don't see why you would need to date your cousin haha

• Uhh what the shit? That it actually my thought for dating siblings

• My opinion?

Don't do it.

• That's gross and it should never happen ever.

• Ew , your related and you look really similar so DISGUSTING!!!

• Better stick with dating your brother... as I read the comments.

• Nope, absolutely not

• It's illegal, immoral, and will fuck up your genetics. Don't go for it home slice.

• Don't do it, it's fucking weird.

• Disgusting, shameful, and bound to have offspring with a genetic mutation.

• For me is a complete No no

• No, even if I'm adopted.

• I think it's very wrong. :/

• I do not think about it because I am not from the South.

• nasttttteeeee

• Umm... no. Just no.

• They couldn't find one person out side of their families to love them? Pathetic.

• Absolutely disgusting. That's nasty. If it was normal, there wouldn't be birth defects and mental deficiencies as a result of it.