Regardless of how many people actually respond to you, do you tend to make contact with people first on dating websites, or do others tend to write to you first? In general, do you think guys or girls write the initial message more often?
- I think GUYS usually write first & I usually write first13% (2)89% (8)42% (10)Vote
- I think GUYS usually write first & others usually write to me first40% (6)11% (1)29% (7)Vote
- I think GIRLS usually write first & I usually write first13% (2)0% (0)8% (2)Vote
- I think GIRLS usually write first & others usually write to me first20% (3)0% (0)12% (3)Vote
- OTHER (please explain) / I want to see results / I think it's about equal14% (2)0% (0)9% (2)Vote
Most Helpful Guy
Guys have to send out a lot more messages to get a response than women do. Sometimes they might send out 20 messages and hope to get one back. So generally guys have to be the first to send any messages. At least that is what I have always heard.
I haven't dated online before but I did create a profile because I was thinking about it, and I got tons of messages from women. I think most guys must just really bad at writing their profile. Maybe if I had included a picture I might not have gotten as many messages, but I have heard that normally increases the messages.
I think that the women generally have a plan when they create their profile, and most guys just throw something together in a few seconds.
I will say that after the women messaged me, I learned something important. I didn't fit any of what many of the women seemed to be looking for on their questionnaire which surprised me. I think guys tend to put their bare minimum requirements and women tend to put some fantasy that they would like to have, but don't require. I think this miscommunication causes guys to think women are picker than they really are. Or maybe my very limited experience was just unique.1