Genuine Conversation Ideas?

I'm going to senior prom with a friend of mine. We don't know each other very well & we are both on the quiet side. Beforehand we are going out to dinner (just the two of us) and I was wondering if you had any ideas on some good, genuine conversation starters (for any awkward silences)? I looked this up online & all of the starters I either thought of or they just seemed like something that would sound overly rehersed &/or something you wouldn't ask (ex: What animal, besides humans, do you think would make the best world leaders or What’s your earliest memory of feeling wonder)

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, besides those obviously rehearsed-type questions, here's something I wrote up about this:
    "Ask her to tell you a story. Ask her to ask you questions. Ask her what she wants to talk about. Ask her what's on her mind; ask her what she's thinking about. Ask her about herself. Ask her about her opinion on something. Ask her about anything about her, because girls love to talk about themselves, and it's nice to show that you care about what she says and thinks."

And yeah, you'll probably come up with random stuff to say anyway, if your conversation goes ANYWHERE. I think it's pretty normal for girls to be able to carry a conversation.

What Girls Said 1

• Music, movies, life aspirations, experiences, interests, etc. Just bring up different things to find out where there is common ground.

What Guys Said 1