Would you date someone with mental health issues?

would you date someone who has mental health issues like depression or anxiety?

Most Helpful Guy

• well I suffer from both those so I don't see why not. I take meds for it though.

• Awesome 👍🏻 haha, from what everyone else was saying I was starting to think I'd be alone forever lol

Most Helpful Girl

• I have inadvertently dated three men already who had mental issues. One was bi-polar (later on, suicidal), the second one had paranoia personality disorder and parasomnia, and the third had some sort of myriad of mental issues that were undiagnosed, but I know his brother had schizophrenia and his mother was on happy pills - himself, he was obsessive, jealous, and had chronic stalking issues against me and his ex-girlfriends.

Had I known these guys had these issues, I would not have dated them. They put a huge toll on our relationship, and cost me a lot of time and energy (and one spent a lot of money), to try and make our situations livable. Since none of them were even half-way willing to try and look out for me in any way in our relationship (s), I had to make a decision on whether or not to continue, so I decided to leave all three at each time I was with them.

I would not do it again. I have terrific respect for people that do take on a relationship with some suffering a mental illness, but as for me, it was too taxing and hurtful to continue and refuse to ever do it again.

• Fair enough. Those guys you dated seem like they have very serious mental health issues though, I just have anxiety so it's not like I see things or go round stalking people lol

• No, I'm not offended at all, don't worry! I just was generalizing "mental illness" from your topic and my answer would be no, not after what I've been through. But if I was single, and met someone who had some anxiety disorders, I think that would be a cake walk compared to some things I've been through. The guys I dated before chose not to tell me about their problems - and that is typical when someone is just trying to impress when they meet someone. I didn't find out about the two first ones until we moved in together and I saw how they were every day and night living with them. The first one would cut himself when he didn't get his way, and the second one had very bizarre habits regarding his paranoia problem. The third one I never lived with and refused to continue a relationship with as he showed signs of mentally abusive behaviour toward me, being obsessive and controlling. If someone hides their issues like these, it doesn't help matters later on. I would have rather...

• ... known about them and helped them through as a friend than to carry on in a relationship and figure I was a rotten girlfriend or that they were rotten boyfriends.

What Guys Said 8

• A mental illness is no different than a physical illness. They need help a support but they are still themselves and they 're still capable of being wonderful people. I'd never let it get in the way of being with someone I was really into but I'd also be careful to never be with a mentally ill person I wasn't sure I could invest entirely in a serious relationship with as they are vulnerable and a bad relationship can hurt them way worse than a nerotypical person. everyone has baggage and mental illness is no different

• You definitely have to learn to behave appropriately and set safe boundaries but you'd have to do simmilar with a physicaly disabled partner.

• I have already I had my hands full for sure trying to please and work with her

• What did she have?

• She had depression and took paxil for it and if she missed some days we could be driving down the road doing something fun then the next thing I know tears are rolling down her eyes because of the side effects of some kind of withdraws

• I think she had some anxiety Issues at times as well

• Absofuckinglutely not. I've done it before and it was one of the worst experiences of my life.

• Already tried. Didn't work

Not going to ever again, worst 2 years of my life

• No, I don't need anymore bat shit crazy in my life.

• yes. maybe i can help her by doing something like make her accompanied.

• no, i wouldn't.

• 0|0

What Girls Said 3

• The pills suppresses the beast. No. I'm playing with fire here. I'm best to be a friend to them once a month or something.

• I don't think I could see the person I love experiencing mental instability.

• I did.. and that son of a bitch broke up with me.. he didn't know about his feelings...