Would you date someone who is depressed/cutting/suicidal?

• I would not date anyone who was any of those things
  • I would date someone who were those things
  • Other (explain)
*Lets say the person refused to get help

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh my gosh... I'm reading through all of these responses and it's really annoying me how selfish people can be. OF COURSE i would date a guy like that. I have before and I'd do it again. Sure it's crazy stressful and scary. But, it's worth it to be there for them and help pull them out of it. The guy I dated is now one of my closest friends. We broke up over the summer, but he REALLY opened up to me while we WERE dating and even some after we broke up. He;s told me countless times that if I hadn't been willing to date a "suicidal, depressed nobody" then he probably wouldn't be alive today. Have some compassion people. Be a friend. Be there when your friends need you and stop focusing on how comfortable or uncomfortable YOU are with the situation.

• Oh and by the way, the guy I dated also refused to get help. Just talk to a parent or youth pastor, whatever about it. But don't go to the police unless he or she is ready to pop the pills or pull the trigger or tighten the noose that instant or that night. Make sure they trust you before you get help for them. I was always able to talk/hug my bf out of suicide, but if I hadn't been able to do that, I was ready to call the police.

• dude seriously preach it!

• @Green_Bird8 lol i don't get how people can be so calloused!

What Girls Said 23

• I've been those things and my boyfriend broke up with me for it. You need someone to stand by your side. I would try and help them but it's scary and draining on someone to try and constantly protect the person. I didn't understand that before but being clean for over three years, now I do. It's hard but if the person wants to get better and they had all the qualities I wanted, than yes. But they have to want to try.

• I'd happily date someone who is depressed/cutting/suicial.. So that isn't an issue.

I think the issue is within themselves though, it's hard to make a relationship work if you're not in the right frame of mind.

I think more than anything a realllly good friend would be a better idea

• Sadly, I would. No clue why I'm drawn into such things...

• I want confident men.. so never! But if I am in a relationship with a man who turns into this, then I would not dump him! Too afraid he will do something to himself! I will make sure he turns fine, then see how he is then. If he is still suicidal or a crybitch then its over.

• I'm currently dating someone like that. Its hard.. and it's scary. Especially since it's long distance. Whenever he doesn't message me for a while the first thing that pops in my head is if he committed suicide. He always tells me that I'm the reason that he hasn't done it yet. I'm trying my best to help him

• Why on earth would anyone do that to themselves? Especially if you don't even really know them.

• @Mesonfielde we've met in real life before so I do know him. And I'm putting myself through that because I love him, and just leaving because of his depression is selfish in my opinion, especially since I really am helping him through this

• Your 14 year old mind is not ready for that kind of responsibility.
      I hope you find a way out, honestly.

• No, that would be a bad influence on me and plus I can't stand seeing cuts >_<

• No. He should first fix himself before starting a relationship. He shouldn't get into a relationship so he can expect me to fix him.

• Well, not me but my boyfriend did. I was depressed and he said he would take care of me and help me recover from my depression. It's been and year in a half and he's still with me. He's never left my side in this journey of mine. :)

• Those traits don't go with confident men, so no it wouldn't happen.

• Typical woman.

• @despondency 😓 I genuinely am upset about this.

• Haha, no you're not, and it will pass in a mere moment if you are. :p

• and make me upset? Noooooo I don't want their disease.

• Well, both of you have to help each other. He might have problems, but you will experience hard times too. If he can't give you a positive advice or if he always search for the negative side of the problems, then you will have to deal with it all by yourself. But you will also have to deal with his problems too. I think this is too much and it will be very hard to go for a long term relationship.

However, I've seen love do miracles...

• No.

And if i did, it would not be a long term relationship.
    Just not for me.

• i don't want them to feel i am dating them out of sympathy and if they do kill themselves, i will feel guilty but i will get them all of the help that i can.

• i would because i have all those tendencies and i know that everyone deserves love so i dont really have a problem with it because i can understand why

• sure.. i would try to help and do my best to be a support for him

• Same opinion 😃

• Let's say the person refused to get help ;o

• ohh if he refused to get help i would try to connect with his relatives, co- workers and try make a plan together how to help. the more heads together would make better and clever decision...
      somebody with suicidal thought needs medical help... its necessary, good therapist is a must.
      if he is not cooperative then i would try to explain that i love and support him but if he loves me too he should do some steps too. get some help...

• Yeah I would but I would make them get some help. Like therapy.

• I don't know. I am depressed myself, wouldn't that be weird?

• maybe but i dont know because i dont want to be the cause of them hurting themselves.

• Maybe you could get them help? I know I would.

• I did it once because I pity for him and I wanted to help him, but in the end he just drownd me down more and more. Never doing it again

• No. Positivity and optimism are attractive qualities

• If I hadn't dated anyone like that I probably would have voted B but now that I have experience dating a depressed/suicidal guy I chose A. He would threaten me with suicide whenever he would lose his temper and I would have to call the police department from the town he lived in to go to his house and check on him hoping that they could stop him in time. I know that not everyone one who's suicidal is the same but I'm NEVER going to put myself in those situations ever again.

• Yeah just not a cutter

What Guys Said 17

• Difficult question. Depends on how severe it is. I probably wouldn't be able to put up with the drama that comes from being suicidal, and I probably wouldn't hang around if the person keeps cutting. There are so many different ways to cope with stress! Seeing yourself bleed and risking infections is NOT the smartest one of them.

Depressed? Well, that depends on whether I even notice.
    Hell, I don't even know if I'm depressed.

• possibly, depends on the person.

• No, I can't do that. I have enough things to take care of in my own life I can't baby someone back to healthy state. I can be there as a friend but not a boyfriend.

• not a chance in hell, my sister is like that and it's a living nightmare so i'm not having anything to do with a girl like that

• I would be there as a friend. As someone who wanted to help. But under the conditions you named, no I could date the person.

• No, I wouldn't.

• My gf is like that right now, I try and take care of her as best as I can, I love her a lot and I want her to be happy.

• Pussy is pussy.

• I could but they're getting help ASAP under my direction.

• Yeah, if I like them. We all go through bad patches.

• I personally don't have the mental aptitude to handle someone with those issues...

• No that's just suicide

• No, should be self-explanatory: I don't look forward to babysitting somebody.

• No. Dont wanna feel responsible for their death.

• Maybe or maybe not :/

• Cutting is gross. The other stuff might be hot or might be a PITA.

• Been there, done that, don't want another t-shit. No.