Who should pay on a date?

This will be my first date ever, and I am in a predicament. Last week, he was talking about wanting to go see this movie, but I was the one that officially asked him out. He told me that he would pay for tickets, but I know that my family is wealthier than his, that his dad is currently unemployed, and that he is saving up for something. I really want to pay for the tickets, but I don't know how to go about doing that. Should I offer to pay for them, offer to split the check, or let him pay and then pay for the next date? I don't want him to spend money on me because I generally don't like it when people do, and would feel guilty. What should I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• make a deal that u will both pay for yourselves and it should be like that all the time in my opinion. Guys shouldn't be the only one that pays.

What Guys Said 9

• He's gonna offer, and he will insist, but it's nice when the girl tries to pay, or at least offers to split the cost, it just shows that she's not just for the money.
    So offer to pay, don't mention his situation, just offer to pay, insist one or two times, and if he keeps insisting let him pay, it's his decision.
    If he pays, tell him you'll pay next time. If you guys keep going on dates, either split the cost, or one time you pay, next time he pays.

• Culturally the guy is expected to pay. I don't see paying as big deal though if the girl tells me that she doesn't bother about it. She has to be completely honest though and I'm sure you will be if you tell him. Well, it's just money, I see nothing wrong with you bringing up the matter... nicely.

• I think both should contribute - after all, both are enjoying the date's activities. Girl gets movie, guy gets dinner; guy gets dinner, girl gets drinks... HOWEVER, don't emasculate him by paying for everything. You both know money is tight for him, so take it as a good thing that he is willing to spend some of what little he can spare on *you*.

• here's the run down. You have a good heart, now listen to this. If you pay you will make him feel unneeded and not necessarily a man. This is a good time to let him pay then sit down and talk to him about you both paying for the relationship nights. As you know a relationship is 50/50 not 40/60. Best of luck!

• If you really feel bad about it, buy candy and bring it along or just in general bring something to the table that's fun. Thank him for buying the tickets and you'll be fine.

• I will pay for the girl on the first two dates after that she can help me out

• I think that the person who asked should pay for the first date but after that it would be split

• At the beginning, whoever invites. Firther into a relationship it really doesn't matter.

• should play rock, paper, scissors to decide

What Girls Said 2

• Simply say that since you asked him out, you feel that you're obligated to pay. Some men though do have this "pride" thing where they feel emasculated if a woman does something for him that he can not do himself. It makes some of them feel like less than a man.

I'm hoping he's not like that.

• To answer your title, I think both people should pay the bill.