Would you go on a date with a foreigner who doesn't speak English really well?

Would you date a foreigner who, lets say has good personality, has the looks you are ok with, but isn't quite on your level of English speaking, and isn't as smooth irl as he is while texting. would that make that much of a difference to you and please share your experiences if you have any.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends how well they can speak it and how heavy their accent is. But yeah, I likely would, if I was out in the dating world again. My husband's first language isn't English - he has an accent but he speaks it really well. I can understand him just fine. That's the key - if we can understand each other well and get our points across when talking to each other. I also think it's good practice for the non-English speaker - I'd be willing to help my date with their English skills. That's no problem.

What Girls Said 12

• I wouldn't, I'd have to keep saying "What?" every minute and then I'd feel bad.

• I wouldn't mind.
    English isn't my first language and I worked extremely hard to speak like I do today. But it also took a lot of time.
    So I understand the struggle of the English language. Hell, learning any language new or for the first time is difficult for anyone and you'd have an accent or speak "broken" in any language other than your native one.

I haven't dated someone who didn't speak English very well, but I certainly wouldn't discount someone just cuz of that.

I'd be a little concerned though if they're English was so poor that we couldn't even hold a small conversation.

• I wouldn't really know, considering I'm multilingual, so I know most common languages. But I definitely would. Additionally, I moved a lot when I was younger, probably 11-12 times. I was always seen as the "foreigner", so in my perspective... I'd hate it if that was the only reason someone wouldn't want to date me. I'd be willing to learn their language if we were getting serious too..

• I would date someone who doesn't speak my mother language perfectely, I think that teaching the other person your language can draw you closer to her/him (BTW I would be the one who doesn't speak English well since i'm from Argentina)

• I would!
    How ever seeing as I base everything on whether someone can keep/hold a decent conversation with me I'm not overly sure how well it would work.
    But by saying that everyone can learn another language and while English is supposedly the hardest language to learn I'd be more then willing to help the said person learn.

• I think yeah. When I was in Spain 1 year ago, I met a great guy though his English wasn't very well. Somehow we still managed to communicate. And well now... we've been dating.

• I would but depends on what kind of accents we're talking about here. If its Latin or south amrecian, I would be more than okay with it. And yeah I did meet someone like that, didn't make much of a difference.

• Communication is a very important thing in a relationship, so... I'm not sure. I'm gonna tentatively say yes, but it might not be a good idea to date someone who can't understand you well.

• i mean, he can understand you well, but what if his accent makes it somewhat unattractive or hard for you to understand at some points maybe :D, and you have to be like "come again" or smth like that

• I don't have any experiences, but i think that if he is a really nice guy, and is a great person inside and out, it really shouldn't matter who you truly like.

• Yup. I would totally date him.

• I never had that experience but it would make a difference... For many it's a huge difference

• If I could tell he was smart, it wouldn't matter... Also, being hot wouldn't hurt.

What Guys Said 4

• If you can communicate well, it doesn't matter. I'm a foreigner in the US, and I have accent, and sometimes people don't understand some words I say, but overall we can understand each other, like what we're trying to say.
    Plus, girls love the accent xD

Don't worry too much, 'cause if you do you'll get more nervous and you'll speak worse (it happened to me at the beginning). Try to speak slower, it will help you to think better what to say, it will help the other person to understand you, and you'll appear more confident.

• nicely put, but im not really having issued with this, i was just curious, even tho English is my second language girls say i got a nice and interesting accent :P

• Oh ok, I thought you did have a problem. They say that about my accent too, I've also gotten "sexy" xD
      I think it's like a bonus, it keeps them interested cause they wonder where the accent is, and they ask, so you can easily strike a conversation.

• i agree with you on that last bit ;)

• I used to date a girl from Hong Kong last year. Despite her being stunningly hot and having a sweet personality, I could not understand her accent very well and not through texting either.

So to be honest, I probably would not. I want to be able to communicate smoothly with someone.

• i know what you mean, been texting this girl from italy, and sometimes i just feel like i shouldn't say something which she might not understand and like make the convo all awkward, and most of the time when she makes a mistake i work my way around it and give a solid response but sometimes i just change the subject cause it doesn't feel okay asking "what?" every single min when i dont have a clue what she's trying to say.

• Why wouldn't you? Since when has English (language) become the standard of ones personality to live up to?

• no cuz it's so annoying listening to them talk.