Am I saying the wrong thing to guys?

it seems like i never say the right thing to them. i've been on a dating site for months and i get messages from guys. I'll message them back, but i'll never hear from them again. Just a few minutes ago this guy said:

hey! you seem super nice and interesting and i'd love to get to know you.

I said: hi and haha thanks. so where are you from?

He read the text by the way. I didn't think I said anything strange, but now i'm starting to think that I came off weird to him. Did I say something wrong?

Most Helpful Guy

• No, dating sites just suck like that. People send off (or receive) dozens of messages each day. Some girls say they wake up to over a hundred new messages. So people are either sorting through a bunch of them or sending off messages to people they aren't very interested in.

I had always thought of dating sites as something I'd eventually try, and I was excited when I started. Then nothing happened. People don't respond and aren't interested.

In your case, I wouldn't fret very much about the quality of your response, as long as you are giving them something they can continue the conversation with.

What Guys Said 8

• It doesn't sound wrong to me. Guys message dozens of girls hoping to get a single reply. Most likely he just found a different girl.

• Nothing wrong with your small talk. Its a dating site so he probably just ended up talking with another girl. It's a numbers game. Keep at it and someone will stick.

• Well to me

"So where are you from?" = Boring ass conversation

That may be a factor, this includes any replies similar to that.

• I'm not sure you're going to get the answers you want when you are trying to meet complete strangers on-line. I don't know why any girl would do this, when in the real world, you are largely in control of the men from whom you would like attention.

• Nothing wrong with dating websites. Some people don't have the time to go out and meet people and doing so online also provides a way of meeting people you wouldn't usually come across and it's also easier for some people to be more themselves.

• Well, for guys, I can understand. But, from my experience, an attractive girl can get pretty much any guy she wants in real life. It must be a wonderful thing!

• He's probably thinking "oh shit, a reply! What do I say? I've never gotten one of these before"

• Your response didn't follow anything he said. Try replying to what they said instead of replying. If he says your interesting, talk about your shared interests. It's the depth of that initial contact that makes it seem like you aren't interested.

• It's normal to ask that on a dating site. People just want to know what kind of distance they're dealing with etc.. However something better would have been like "so, do you come here often?". You want to use your surroundings to your advantage. If you start talking about other things right away, it sounds weird, like, as if you don't know where you are etc.. next time talk about the site first. by the way, I HIGHLY, HIGHHHHHHHLY recommend not using dating sites. You don't know what kind of people are out there. I'm on here because I'm bored and just do it when I am. I don't actually take these peoples advice

• I don't know, lots of guys just mass spam girls hoping some reply and maybe he didn't read yours.

What Girls Said 1

• I believe a lot of guys send messages to a lot a girls in hopes of getting one in return seeing as soo many don't actually reply.

You didn't say anything wrong but guys can be annoying sometimes like this. Most the time i find they usually lose interest in the site when this happens but he saw it so maybe he just couldn't be bothered? Because sometimes when i see the same old questions from guys that i'm not really interested in, i wouldn't reply but don't worry, you said nothing wrong, i wouldn't get too caught up in it.