Guys, Would you date a girl with bipolar disorder?

15

Most Helpful Guy

• You never know, I might be somewhat bipolar myself... There are signs.. To answer your question, I'm willing to give it a shot and if I know she has a bipolar disorder, I'll try to help her as much as I can and if I found out my SO has it, I'll still stick with her through thick and thin. The only thing I can't really look past would be a serial killer or something...

What Guys Said 14

• If she was on medication, yes. If she is not on medicine then it would probably be too much to handle.

• Yes. I'm not entirely convinced it even exists, I think it's more to do with the drugs they put people on.

• So you discredit what people suffer with

• No, not at all. Hmm, that came off arrogant.

It's just that I have been diagnosed with several disorders and put through the psychiatry mill, been on medication for nine years. I kept feeling horrible.

Then I came across the book "Anatomy of an Epidemic", and it makes a pretty convincing argument that medication is worsening these problems for people.

And specifically with bipolar, that used to hardly exist before. People had depressive episodes, but chronically cycling rapidly between depression and mania is something that was basically unheard of before the drugs were introduced.

I certainly don't discredit that millions of people are suffering terribly. But right now my opinion is that psychiatry is labeling and drugging people and worsening their problems by convincing them there is something wrong with who they are.

• It depends if I got to know her more before dating her. That way I would have no problems adapting or coping with whatever issues she has.

• Fuck no...

• I kinda forgot what that was...

• I couldn't deal with the mood swings. It would be too much for me.

• NO!!!

Females with bipolar are 50 times worst than females without bipolar.

• As opposed to consistent depression? Sure, I would.

• It all depends on how bad it is.
    If she's... let's say, "reasonably stable", than sure.
    If she goes from "oooh, baby, i love you, let's cuddle and eat cakes under the loving moonlight" mode to "I WILL EAT YOUR FACE AND SACRIFICE YOUR OVARIES TO SATAN" mode... obviously, no.
    As with every person, before we go from 'friends' to 'dating', let's get to know each other a bit, eh?
    sounds fair, right?

• I'm a bit in between the two scenarios you described.

• It would depend entirely on the individual and severity of her symptoms.

• I am bipolar too, i go from happy to full on depressed to happy again in the same day, so yeah.

• Sure no problem

• Really? No problem in dating a woman with a serious mental illness, the same mental illness of people who have stabbed children to death?

• So it's fine if she loves you & she's screaming at you, throwing stuff at you, biting her arms, threatening to kill you?

• I love hardcore relationships.

• no that is weird in my opinion

• No, I'm generally an understanding person but not when it comes to mental disorders.