Do you agree with the expression that women are the gatekeepers of sex while men are the gatekeepers of commitment?

Also when explaining whether or not you agree with this expression please define what you think "gatekeeper" means in the context of this quote. What in your opinion makes someone the "gatekeeper" of either sex or commitment.

• Agree
  • Disagree
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• I think on an instinctual level, a little bit, but I think this is exacerbated by social norms.
    Men are naturally inclined to want sex more because we are always ready to procreate; Women are naturally inclined to want sex at sequestered points of time when they are ready to procreate (ovulation), and sex at any other time would be physiologically useless (you aren't doing anything to forward procreation, so why waste the energy?).
    Meanwhile, women are naturally inclined to want a relationship because pregnancy leaves them less able to fend for themselves, and so therefore having a partner provides a sense of security. On the other side, men are naturally inclined to be free of commitment because they can spread their genes by having children with more women.
    These, however, are broad generalizations about people, taking the most logical path from the viewpoint of a survivalist, Darwinist stance. Humanity, however, has generally moved on from the necessity of "Survival of the Fittest", due to our dominance of our surroundings, and now we are involved in a "Progress of the Group" mentality.
    With regards to that, monogamous relationships appear to be the best means to raising productive members of society, and therefore, should be the goal of humanity for the time being. Therefore, men are adapting to fit this role, and because they are more likely to have successful children, their genes are being selected more commonly than men of differing dispositions.

What Girls Said 6

• In most situations yes and gatekeeping is when one restricts something one the basis to let only certain things true it's sort of like a preamble membrane but in human form.

• I think they're both expected to be, respectively. Women are typically vilified for having a healthy sexuality instead of using sex as a reward for me who enter into relationships with them. Men are vilified for wanting to be in relationships, especially if they are thought to be more for romantic reasons than sexual ones.

• No. Some are, some aren't. I know there are men who won't give it up to their girlfriends as well as women who won't commit to their guy.

Not all gender is one way.

• Not from what I have seen, it depends entirely on the person

• could you give more details?

also define what you think it means to be the "gatekeeper"

• I'm saying everybody is different in terms of what they want out of a relationship. Gatekeeper means they control when it happens.

• ok, thanks for your response

• Of course every relationship is different depending on the circumstances but I think there is some truth to that statement, because some women withhold sex & that gives them a little "power" over their partner.. while traditionally it is the man who decides when to take the relationship to the next level

• I think this has truth to it.

What Guys Said 5

• No, not really. I've met girls who wanted sex more than I did, and I've met girls who didn't want commitment when I did.

• how often does that happen where the girl wants sex before you do?
      is it like 50/50?

• For the most part I agree.

• Bullshit..
    No one is guarding a gate by himself
    Both are guarding both gates

• The older I get, I realize a lot of people are far from stereotypes. What a concept: judging individuals instead of groups.

• I the gatekeeper