Guys, if you cry over a girl, is it serious?

I met a guy over a year ago, and we became best friends. He only has distant family in the city where we both now live, and he's told me repidedly that I'm closer to him than anyone, that I'm basically his only "family" here.
Unfortunately, I fell for him, and we started dating. He just broke things off, saying he feels he's not ready to be with one girl. He cried the entire time, yet I can't help but feel like I've been played. When I asked him before if he wants to be only with me he said yes, but now suddenly he changed his mind and wants to go back to being "just friends". I don't think I can be just friends with someone who told me he loves me and I genuinelly love back.
Could his tears have been fake? To get me to soften up for him

Do guys fake cry?

• No
    23% (12)
  • Yes
    62% (32)
  • Real Men Don't Cry
    15% (8)
And you are? I'm a GuyGirls can not vote on this poll

16

Most Helpful Guy

• Rather than fake tears, I think he has mental problems.

• Hahaha thankyou for that! I actually burst out laughing
      As a person who is pretty blunt and refuses to play mind games, I find this guy wayyy too confusing

What Guys Said 15

• I responded to the question at the end, do guys fake cry and the answer is no. Men don't just bring up fake tears. If he wanted to soften you up he would have found another way to do that. He probably likes somebody else or wants to date around and actually feels bad for leading you on like that.

Either way the crying is not fake, unless he's a professional actor.

• yes... i never "fake" my cryin basically...;-)

• I say yes because I feel if you cry over a girl then its real.. Unless the guy tries to hold in his tears because he might think he may feel less as a man if he does.. Personally I've never faked cried.. I don't cry in front of just anyone.. So if I cry in front of you your special in some way.

• i don't fake cry if i do. i'm not into messing with people (girls or guy friends) emotions. i used to be a really bad person and i did that but i'm not like that anymore and i wouldn't do it. if it was dome to me i would be really hurt

• (This is Tinkerbell) he probably wasn't faking it. Even though it was his decision and he chose to end your relationship, that doesn't mean it was easy for him. He probably didn't enjoy hurting you and hated doing it very much, even though it was what he felt was best. I'm sure he could've been crying to "soften you up", because I don't know him so maybe that's what was going on. But I don't think its impossible at all that he was very upset and legitimately crying over doing that to you.

• I've cried over two girls that broke my heart! They never really understood that four letter word! I never fake my crying. If I'm crying, it's my mother that cheers me up.

• Yeah. I personally hate the notion that real men don't cry. While men should 'man up' in certain situations, they shouldn't be afraid to show emotion!

• I couldn't fake cry if I wanted to.

• Us guys don't cry or fake tears a lot, so if you see us cry.. it's fucking real

• i used to when i was younger but now i see girls as a nice add-on to your life but not something you have to have and definitely not something to be the focus of your life

• Never seen a man cry crocodile tears, seen girls do it plenty.

• it i cried over a girl it would be a fking miracle

• I am sure if I cry for a girl it won't be crocodile tears...

• yes it is real

• Should we answer the question in the title or the one in the details?

• Sorry I said 'yes' to your main question, that yeah a guy cries when it's serious. No guys don't use tear as their weapons like girl, there are lot of times when we are shattered but we drink our tears instead of shedding them. It's feels sour in throat. And yeah, you won't even recognize, very often some guys with smiling and laughing and act like having fun, does not matters how much shattered they feel. Or the girl he likes and wants to be with is smooching another guy (who is an asshole) in front of him.